GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 gmc savana 2500 base model cargo. 70k miles. The three round buttons for climate control do not have lights. I cannot seem to find any information on this all of my search results keep producing the entire control module. Am I to assume that’s because they are not replaceable? I brought it to a mechanic and he said he replaced the bulbs. The headlight switch does not light up as well and he said he replaced that bulb too. But none of them work still… was I lied to?

· Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
2,346 Posts
Those bulbs are replaceable in my 2000 and 2004. I would assume they were replaced and you have a wiring issue for the interior lights. Does the dash light up when the headlights come on?

I lean towards a wiring issue because there are MANY bulbs in the HVAC module. If NONE of them light up, then there is an issue somewhere...

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bulbs are readily available for those years, it’s the later years that doesn’t show any available, in fact every time you search nothing but the entire control module comes up, leading me to believe you can not. Everything else works except the headlight switch back light.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One bulb out, it's a lamp problem, 2, or 3, not working, you have a wiring problem, it may be on the 12volt side, or the ground side.
Or possibly a new control module which seems to be popular every time I research lights being out. Still, I’m not necessarily interested in fixing it as much as I am to see if I was lied to from the mechanic that’s the main purpose of this post. It’s a used car dealer and I think they are scamming me!

· Registered
213 Posts
I would think that the bulbs in the 2020 switches are all LEDs and are soldered in. The odds of all of these bulbs going out or the dealer actually replacing them is extremely thin IMHO.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think that the bulbs in the 2020 switches are all LEDs and are soldered in. The odds of all of these bulbs going out or the dealer actually replacing them is extremely thin IMHO.
Right, my thoughts exactly, especially since no matter where I go I cannot even find bulbs offered for sale as replacements, they simply do not exist, but everybody and I mean everybody is offering the new control module so I’m thinking I agree with you! The problem is, I have to know 100% sure before I barge into the dealer and accuse them of being liars!

I think I’ll call a dealership today and speak to the parts department and ask them directly is probably my best recourse.

· Registered
88 Posts
Right, my thoughts exactly, especially since no matter where I go I cannot even find bulbs offered for sale as replacements, they simply do not exist, but everybody and I mean everybody is offering the new control module so I’m thinking I agree with you! The problem is, I have to know 100% sure before I barge into the dealer and accuse them of being liars!

I think I’ll call a dealership today and speak to the parts department and ask them directly is probably my best recourse.
I'm pretty sure I know how you feel, but beware before you "barge into the dealer and accuse them of being liars!" If in fact they are soldered in LED's as is likely, he very well may have replaced them but had no way to test until after reinstalling the panel. If the problem is something other than the LED's, he likely did replace them (pain in the azz they are) and when they still didn't work, refused to pull it all out again.

This is a voice of experience talking here ........... I once had a 2007-8 NNBS and a bunch of the dash lights were, it turned out to be all LED's. I had no way of knowing that until I had dismantled a major part of the panel over the radio and climate controls. But once I saw they were all soldered, I simply put it back together and did without some lights till I sold the truck. I can promise you, had I done all of what was required to get it all apart and actually replaced all the LED's that were out, put it all back together and they still didn't work ...... there's not a snowball's chance in heII I would have tore it all back apart.

That was about 8-10 years ago and I still have nightmares about it! Good luck!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, if it was just those maybe I would proceed with caution, but it was the headlight switch also he claimed he fixed. The odds of both of them not working? Not good for him! But there was a whole list of things and basically the guy never fixed anything just kept saying no problem found no problems found and then I get right back in the truck and every problem is found! He’s one of those mechanics that works for a used car dealer and since it was already sold I’m sure nobody’s anxious to want to invest any money in it now! But I called the dealership and he said you have to get the whole control module there are no separate bulbs and since the LEDs aren’t even available anywhere, how exactly did he get a hold of them? He didn’t!! But yes I feel you, it wouldn’t be the first time I ran in and accused somebody of something bad, just to have egg on my face…

· Registered
88 Posts
Well, if it was just those maybe I would proceed with caution, but it was the headlight switch also he claimed he fixed. The odds of both of them not working? Not good for him! But there was a whole list of things and basically the guy never fixed anything just kept saying no problem found no problems found and then I get right back in the truck and every problem is found! He’s one of those mechanics that works for a used car dealer and since it was already sold I’m sure nobody’s anxious to want to invest any money in it now! But I called the dealership and he said you have to get the whole control module there are no separate bulbs and since the LEDs aren’t even available anywhere, how exactly did he get a hold of them? He didn’t!! But yes I feel you, it wouldn’t be the first time I ran in and accused somebody of something bad, just to have egg on my face…
Actually I was told the same thing, that there was no replacements available for those lights but I didn't believe them. And typically that was true because they were all soldered in .... GM never anticipated anyone trying to replace those LED's because they are such a pain in the azz. The LED's are available from a few sources, but you really have to search.

And those of us who come to and use the GM Truck Club forum will give most any fix a try. I gave it a try, decided it wasn't worth the effort, put it all back together and sold it. As an aside, the headlight switch light could also be an LED and on the same circuit as the others. You know your truck best, just offering food for thought here! Luck!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually I was told the same thing, that there was no replacements available for those lights but I didn't believe them. And typically that was true because they were all soldered in .... GM never anticipated anyone trying to replace those LED's because they are such a pain in the azz. The LED's are available from a few sources, but you really have to search.

And those of us who come to and use the GM Truck Club forum will give most any fix a try. I gave it a try, decided it wasn't worth the effort, put it all back together and sold it. As an aside, the headlight switch light could also be an LED and on the same circuit as the others. You know your truck best, just offering food for thought here! Luck!
Thanks. You reaffirmed that the mechanic is full of crap!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts