GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble diagnosing my 2014 Silverado z71 washer fluid pump power issue. I replaced the pump and checked the fuse. The fuse will not light the bulb when I test it (and yes, I did test it while the arm was depressed.). The wipers are working along with everything else. No pump sound either. Checked all of the interior fuses also. Confused now. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,088 Posts
Sounds like your switch is bad

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
14,133 Posts
Without having the wiring diagram in front of me, I'll guess the pump is controlled by wiper control mobile, or by the body control module.
These modules are electronic switches responding to a command from the washer switch.
Usually the switch (part of the multi-function switch) provides a ground signal to the control module.
The control module usually provides a fused (key on) 12v to the pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I ordered the new switch but wonder about the "Fused" 12v to the pump. Is there another fuse on the control module?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Hmm. If you empty the reservoir do you get the "Washer Fluid Low" message on the DIC? Has anyone been under the reservoir to replace a headlight or any other reason?

Ted

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do get a low washer fluid message. Leads me to the switch as there is no current through the fuse when the multifunction switch is activated. awaiting the arrival of the part and will update.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
You should have 12V on both sides of the fuse if it is good. If you only have 12V on one side the fuse is bad. Both sides of the fuse should light the bulb of a test lamp.

Ted

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not the Switch! Is there a relay that I am missing? All of the other functions work with the multi switch. The only fuse I can think off is the washer fuse on the main fuse box. Getting frustrated.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
You should have 12V on both sides of the fuse if it is good. If you only have 12V on one side the fuse is bad. Both sides of the fuse should light the bulb of a test lamp.

Ted
I do get a low washer fluid message. Leads me to the switch as there is no current through the fuse when the multifunction switch is activated. awaiting the arrival of the part and will update.
You should always have voltage on both sides of a fuse when checking the two contacts on top of the fuse. If you don't have voltage on both sides the fuse is open.

Ted

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should always have voltage on both sides of a fuse when checking the two contacts on top of the fuse. If you don't have voltage on both sides the fuse is open.

Ted
I tested it and have no voltage to the fuse. My question posted earlier was is there a relay that I am missing? I'm not familiar with "the fuse is open." What do you mean by this?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Open means the fuse is bad or blown. Maybe I got the wrong impression when you stated:

I thought when you stated "there is no current through the fuse" that your test lamp lit on one side of the fuse but not the other. Sorry for that. I could only get a diagram close to your 2014. The washer relay should be close to F7 in the underhood fuse block.
2013-07-16_190701_wiper.gif

Hope this helps.

Ted

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
The headlamps were replaced a few years ago.
I asked if anyone had been behind the driver's headlight because they could have disturbed the wiring to the washer pump.

Ted

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
The relay is between B+ (12V) and the fuse so if it's bad no voltage to fuse.

Edit: I couldn't find the relay in the underhood fuse block. I'll go back and check the washer PCB.

Ted

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So........I replaced the relay and still not working. I spoke to the dealership and they said this vehicle no longer has a pulse control board to change out. Really confused as to what the issue could be. Still no power to the engine block washer pump fuse either. Everything else is working great! SO FRUSTRATED!

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
test light IMO not good .. need a voltmeter................
the fuse has no power for the washer then the fuse block is with a problem could be rodent chewed up the wire. key on fuse should have power ..

I do not replace parts to troubleshoot .. this causes MORE problems ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the help. I ordered the new switch but wonder about the "Fused" 12v to the pump. Is there another fuse on the control module?
Hay don't know if you still have the issue. But follow the wires down from the wiper motor to where it ties in to the main harness. The fender skirt that it is pined to has a habit of rubbing through the wires right there. Hopefully it helps you good luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
if you look at diagram above there is a level switch at the fluid bottle , im thinking it shuts power off at pump when empty, also check fuse 8 and relay pc8 , i would think its one of those three things causing no power to washer pump

1 - 20 of 20 Posts