GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Silverado and have noticed that after sitting through a big rainstorm or after driving in the rain, I have some water in the bottom of the stock air filter housing(like 4 or five of the squares in the bottom filled up). I have used silicone to seal up the where the foam gaskets mate up to the box to see if that works, but obviously it didn't. Not sure if it is normal for it to suck water through the fender holes that the box mounts up too or am I maybe missing a flap that sits behind the headlights? Figured I would ask you guy's here before worrying too much. Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am not sure palmer, I live in So Cal so our hard rain is like sprinkling to others. Hopefully someone on here can give you some answers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You could drill holes in each of the squares. Problem avoided.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Water In Air Box

When I had my 2002 Silverado Ext 4X4,4.8 I also found I was getting a little water in the air box while driving in a heavy rain and the paper air filter was damp. Water won't hurt the air box, but it "might" cause some minor problems with the paper air filter like water and paper don't go together very well. So being a K&N Filter fan and a little water does bother that type of filter that's what I used for nine years with no problems.

Dave
2011 Silverado Ext.Z71,4X4,5.3,18" wheels
Hard body tonneau cover

2001 Gt Mustang Vert
Dragon Plenum
Dragon 75 mmTb
CAI
3.73 gears
SCT Tune By VMP

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guy's for the responses. I too have a drop-in K&N filter. Good to know it shouldn't hurt anything. I'll drill a couple more hole and see if helps. Thanks again gentlemen.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
that little bit wont hurt anything. a couple inches of standing water, then I would worry.

Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts