GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to the board and I am seeking advise on my 1989 Silverado 2500. It has a soft pedal and really has a hard time stopping quickly. I realize this thing is big but it should stop. I drove a truck exactly like mine and it felt the same and the word I got from the owner and a couple mechanics was they were all pretty weak back in 89. If so, what can I do to Improve this system without breaking the bank. I pull a race car and without the trailer brakes I couldn't stop it at all. The pads/ rotors look o.k. as well as the rear drums.
What am I missing?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
When is the last time the brake system was flushed? After a time moisture gets into the fluid. That's why it turns a dark brown color. The moisture doesn't compress as well as the brake fluid, so it's like having air in the line, but not as spongy. I would start by flushing the system.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hi,
I'm new to the board and I am seeking advise on my 1989 Silverado 2500. It has a soft pedal and really has a hard time stopping quickly. I realize this thing is big but it should stop. I drove a truck exactly like mine and it felt the same and the word I got from the owner and a couple mechanics was they were all pretty weak back in 89. If so, what can I do to Improve this system without breaking the bank. I pull a race car and without the trailer brakes I couldn't stop it at all. The pads/ rotors look o.k. as well as the rear drums.
What am I missing?

Thanks
Welcome Proe305, 89 was famous for the rear clunk when you came to a stop. But yours sounds like backs are not adjusted up high enough. If there is infact tons of braking material left. Try thumb wheeling up rears, see if it runs freely after on hoist or axel stands(by hand that is)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
When was the last brake service? A good quality set of pads/shoes on a freshly set of turned rotors/drums should be all it needs. How big is that trailer and what kinda racer you haulin?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well everytime someone tells me that there brakes are soft, right away i bleed the system, try it, start furthest from the master cylinder, passenger rear, then drivers rear, passenger front, and driver front, you will need someone to pump the brakes for you and a bleeder wrench make sure you dont use a combination wrench or u may strip it. usaully a 8mm or 10 mm, and as the post above, if its a really dark fluid then u wanna flush the system for sure, especially if its never been done before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.