GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flushing my 02 s10 4 banger coolant yesterday and i think on the third flush coolant started coming out the hole next to the radiator petcock/drain plug.
. Does anyone know how to fix this? Its driving me crazy. I think it started leaking after i squeezed the lower radiator hose by mistake when bleeding the air when i shhouldve squeezed the top. sig
h

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Squeezing the hose would make that leak, if it wasnt already leaking under pressure. When doing you flush, did you open that valve? Chances are there is a little piece of trash hung up in there not letting the valve seal. Try opening and closing the valve a few times. If that doesnt do the trick, you could use some alum-a-seal sealer, but it is better to fix the problem if you can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Squeezing the hose would make that leak, if it wasnt already leaking under pressure. When doing you flush, did you open that valve? Chances are there is a little piece of trash hung up in there not letting the valve seal. Try opening and closing the valve a few times. If that doesnt do the trick, you could use some alum-a-seal sealer, but it is better to fix the problem if you can.
Yeah I did I was just draining radiator, filling it then going on a drive then draining it over and over. So yes I did open the drain valve numerous times so there is probably something stuck in there. I appreciate the response and will report back, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its still pouring water out both he hole and the plug hole Heres a pic of the plug, im fairly sure this plug doesnt even use an o ring. I tried some teflon tape and it didn't help much. My radiator isnt oem and i dont know the model so i havent been able to find a replacement plug. I suppose i probably tightened to tight when i screwed it in one time. My next move is to just permanently seal that hole and the plug hole, what would be the best sealant for this? is aluma seal something you apply to the hole or just dump in the radiator

Attachments

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
You just poor alum-a-seal inside of the radiator. If the hole is stripped, you best bet maybe JB Weld. Only thing is, everything will have to be clean and dry though. Also the original JB Weld is a lot better than the 5 min stuff, but it has to sit over night, and will not make 2 parts stick together untill it is dry and hard, so you have to prop up what ever you want to put together. If I was doing it, first after everything was clean, and no anti freeze or water could leak out, I would remove the plug. As long as the plug stays in place, and doesnt fall out of the hole in the rad., your good. I would mix the JBWeld, and put it anywhere that it will make contact with the hole in the rad., Then screw it back in, and leave it until the next day. As long as the threads are covered in JBweld, and you can see it all the way around the fitting once it is screwed back in place, that should work. I have sealed a leak in an engine block with JBWeld before that was leaking antifreeze, and it held for several years, untill my mom traded in Her car. You will want to pick up some lacker thinner when you get the JBWeld. This will cut the JBWeld and let you clean up your mess. This stuff get all over when your working with it. Just follow the directions on the package. Its a 50-50 mix of the 2 tubes in the package. It wont take a lot. Mix it on something like an old piece of cardboard, and I use a popsycle stick to mix it with. Just remember, once this is done, there is no undoing it. It will be permanent.

Reactions: RayVoy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts