GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, so I am driving my 2000 Silverado 5.3l and in 2wd high I love it, it pissed with rain today and as I pulled away the bank end skipped out as the there is no weight back there, so I thought it's time, time for 4wd. Finally I get to check it out without the back wheel locking or any of that funky stuff, but driving it gave me a real whining sound and even more so if I came off the throttle, the truck only had 98000 kilometers so surely it's not buggered up is it? It probably is knowing my luck. Can anyone please help?

Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
DO NOT ENGAGE ON HARD SURFACES. You will destroy the truck.

馃檪

Registered
Off road and snow and ice, you can use the 4 Auto in wet conditions; but note, sometimes there will be a clunk from the transfer case when 4 Auto operates.

It is not unusual for there to be some noise when in 4WD and on hard surfaces (we all forget to go back to 2Wd occasionally).

Try changing the transfer case fluid and see if that helps.

Do you have a copy of the owners manual?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I think so, I downloaded a PDF, which didn't seem very informative so I bought a haynes manual which seemed to cover a whole host of models, but to be fair I just haven't had the time, I spent the whole weekend polishing it, fixing the sticky door lock, vacuuming, fixing the ceased cap lock, fitting decent speakers and stereo before I ran out of time, thanks for your help, I tied auto in the dry, but it also locks the back wheel on sharp turns. the 4wd hi has a real whining from the front like a bearing, but I'll try the fluid that can't hurt. Is it a hard job?

Registered
but I'll try the fluid that can't hurt. Is it a hard job?
No, not hard at all. Just 2 plugs, a drain and a fill.

BE SURE THE FILL PLUG CAN BE REMOVED BEFORE YOU DRAIN.

The only worry is the fluid, some use transmission fluid, others use a special blue GM fluid, I think you need the blue fluid.

PS: reading time, 15 mins a day while siting on the white throne. Your assignment Grasshopper, is to read the owners manual from cover to cover over the next 5 days.

Reactions: thegawd

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
As much as I would love to, I have an exam coming up and a new job, unless the owners manual is more like an owners flier I am screwed on that one, as long as I know there is some hope that I can get this baby perfect, I will use 2WD Hi, thanks again for your time, I will get around to it for sure.

Registered
The G80 is the rear differential, the transfer case is at the rear of the transmission.

Registered
It does, but your not changing the rear diff fluid, your changing the transfer case fluid.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Aha, awesome, one less thing to worry about. Thanks again RayVoy, a great help as always, I gotta tell you I love this damn thing, could have bought a much newer one for what I have had to spend on it ,but this one has a lot more character.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
One last thing if you don't mind please, the manual sayd Automatic Transfer Case Fluid
(GM Part No. 12378396), but it is no longer available, also the manual doesn't suggest how much I will need to buy either, do you have any ideas? Thanks again.

Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
Sorry to be blunt in my original response then disappear...

I have had this model truck for 10 years. The whine in 4wd on hard surfaces doesn't go away with fluid changes. It's in a bind unless you're running a perfectly straight line due to the radius of wheel travel mentioned in one of your previous threads, Limey. I have never really had a reason to run 4Auto, but I don't live in the snow. Generally speaking, you either need 4WD or you don't. Maybe just don't stand on it when pulling out into traffic in the rain. 馃槈

If you really want to geek out, look at friction coatings and water shedding technology in modern asphalt. Roads are designed for wet, bald tires. Your 4WD isn't going to be happy on a hard surface, even when wet.

@RayVoy
I don't know quite how it works, but this model truck has the continuously spinning front driveshaft. I've never really had a reason to look into it and find out why this was thought to be a good idea. I don't think there's going to be a clunk from the transfer case... 馃し Or maybe you're going to tell me every 2000 Silverado I have ever seen has been broken and it's not supposed to spin. 馃槵 (Edit: It's highly likely.)

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
thanks so much guys, I am near Toronto. I am definitely going to get snow so the thought of 4wd was a bonus, I should probably do the fluid anyway and only use 4wd in bad snow by the sound of it, thanks again.

Registered
I'm in Saint John NB, we get a lot of freezing rain, it's great on that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts