GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '02 chevy Silverado that has no aftermarket work what so ever done to it and I thought that the first few things I put into it should be a new Intake system and a new Exhaust system but look at all of these online sites and basically seeing the same thing over and over again I figured I can come to some seasoned vets in this area so if anyone could message me back about what are some good names or brands I should look more into that would be most helpful thank you.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome to the site. Feel free to browze the Performance forum and you will find many members talking about Which intake they like best, which exhaust, programmer, Throttle-body spacer, etc. I put a K&N FIPK (fuel injection performance kit) intake on my wife's 2001 Suburban w/5.3 and it really woke it up as far a low-end and helped with fuel economy. I'm sure others will chime in with their succsess stories as well. Good luck and be sure to post some pictures of your ride!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I put a K&N Intake on my truck and it made a really nice difference. I have a flowtech headers and an Edelbrock SDT Exhaust system and I love the sound of the exhaust.... I would also recommend magnaflow and Flowmaster for exhaust

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You can't go wrong with the above recommendations. I love the k&N intakes and magnaflow and borla make some great performance gains along with sounding good. If ur looking for the meanest deepest exhaust I'd have to say flowmaster.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Flowmaster for life :party:

But Magnaflow is good too if you don't want it reallllly loud. And I would say K&N or AEM for the intake.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well, there's tons of info on the forum for many recommendations. I'd just do a search, but honestly, it's all about personal preference.

Intakes - as long as they are sealed from the engine bay, should all perform about the same. Prices vary by about $100 - $200.

Exhaust Systems - opinions vary about as much as the prices do. :) I wouldn't bother with a full cat-back unless you have some $$$ to spend. A simple muffler replacement and perhaps a new tip is all you need to get your "exhaust fix."

Personally, for non-cat back systems, I like Magnaflow on the 5.7 and 5.3l. And as with any muffler, there is no such thing as a "one size fits all." Get a bigger/longer Magnaflow, and it will be quieter. Go with a shorter/smaller muffler, and it can get pretty darn loud. Lots of options.

For a full cat-back system, Corsa is about as good as it gets. Especially if you have a drone-happy 6.0l V8. In which case you'll note that I didn't recommend Magnaflow (or any other muffler) for this engine.

Or, in my case, after having tried many various systems, I prefer STOCK. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
if your not worried about cost JBA has the best sounding exhaust i have heard on a silverado. i have borla on mine and that also sounds really good. for intake i have k&n and i like it a lot!

·
Registered
49 Posts
after market parts

Hi:
I have an '04 Silverado, and recently put on an Airaid throttle body spacer with a Fujita 4 inch intake....They seem to work well with each other.... my exhaust is split after the crossover pipe, so it's not a TRUE dual exhaust......I'm looking for headers, but I'm overwhelmed with all the BS...I would like to just see some dyno results with the different headers installed.

later

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you want the absolute best. CORSA stainless cat back, and a Volant Powercore Intake. I was highly opposed to intakes before this one....it is THE ONLY AFTERMARKET INTAKE THAT DOES NOT REDUCE FILTERING EFFICIENCY! Cotton, and oiled filters are JUNK. Blatent damage to an engine, pass way more dirt, and dirty up quicker. The powercore, a donaldson filter, it the best filter money can buy. -Murph

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am running the standard stuff

I have a 2007 (New Body) GMC Sierra SLT Z/71 4X4 Crew Cab, And have done the following changes to the Engine:

GM Low Restriction Intake System (No oiling and looks good, great quality)
Corsa Cat Back System (No Drone, great quality)
Hypertech Energy Max Programmer

Do you guys have any other suggestions for tweaking the power?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
with power programmers is there a better company like say hypertech chips are better in fords and superchips are better in chevys is there anything like that inside of power programmers i heard a few rumors but i do not know for sure.

·
Registered
270 Posts
with power programmers is there a better company like say hypertech chips are better in fords and superchips are better in chevys is there anything like that inside of power programmers i heard a few rumors but i do not know for sure.
hand helds are ok but personally if you have comp. know. then the best is live wire its expensive like $700 but you can program several vehicals with just one program so you get acople of buddys together and split the cost.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a '02 chevy Silverado that has no aftermarket work what so ever done to it and I thought that the first few things I put into it should be a new Intake system and a new Exhaust system but look at all of these online sites and basically seeing the same thing over and over again I figured I can come to some seasoned vets in this area so if anyone could message me back about what are some good names or brands I should look more into that would be most helpful thank you.
IMO intakes are almost a waste of money, because they really don't provide much
It doesn't really add any HP at all, but it can add a little bit o sound but it's not worth it for the price
The only way intakes are really worth your while is if you have a diesel (for example) running an extremely strong chip that requires a higher flow of air into the motor so the turbo can work harder to compensate for the extra fuel being injected. Other than that, is the biggest and most popular waste of money out there.

I guess it can help a little with sound, but I would say just go with an exhaust.
Want more HP? Throw a chip in there
If you really want more acceleration of the line, then you can throw some 4.10 gears on there.

There are better ways to spend your money IMO than K&N or AFE intakes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts