GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the advancement in synthetic oil technology, vehicles are able to go longer between oil changes in some cases as much as 15,000 miles.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance synthetic oil is recommending intervals up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever occurs first.

Royal Purple API-licensed synthetic engine oils goes to 12,000 miles. Using their Royal Purple HPS synthetic performance upgrade street oils allow up to 15,000 miles in between oil changes.

For you folks running synthetic oil, what year and model are you driving, what brand of synthetic oil are you using, how many miles are you going between oil changes and/or are you using the onboard Oil Life System?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
When I had my '14 Ford Fusion I went by the oil life meter. I used Mobil 1 and it ran right about 10K. I went to the local Napa once to get oil, the Mobil 1 was twice the price as the Napa brand full synthetic, so I bought their brand. My change meter ran out about 7500 miles. Mobil 1 on the next change and it was right back at 10K. That was a Hybrid so it really only about 8K miles on oil. It was running about 20% full electric on miles.

I did the first change on my '17 Charger at 6500 miles. Using their recommended Pennzoil, which I'm not really a fan of, and I am at 15K with about 15% left on the meter. That will run me out to right about 10K per change. That's where I plan to keep it, 10K per change.

The fresh rebuild in my Suburban will get Mobil 1 and 10K per change once I get it through the few break in changes it's working on now. That is a '99 with the 7.4L with about 600 miles on it now.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
My OLM is programmed for regular oil and I use synthetic; therefore, I go through 2 OLM cycles, or 10,000 miles, or once a year, which every occurs first.
My wife's car is always once a year, my truck is always mileage.
I do reset the OLM the 1st time it alerts; but have never reached the 2nd alert before the mileage is reached (that I recall).

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I think the OLM is most sensitive to idling. My last cycle was a bit shorter than normal since I had a bunch of trips to the VA in Houston. The heavy stop & go traffic on the freeways and idling up to the valet parking at the VA really adds up. I'm headed for another round of tests the 23rd and I'll try to remember to check the OLM when leaving and getting back.

Ted

·
Registered
697 Posts
I run Mobil 1 high mileage 5w30 full synthetic in both my 08 Silverado 5.3 and the wife's 13 enclave 3.6.
Both vehicles are just over 100k and I change the oil every 5k miles. I refuse to push an oil change beyond that since oil filters are not rated to go 10k+ miles

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
Even the owners manual does not recommend going below 20% on the OLM. I use Mobile 1 and change at 7,500 the OLM is usually showing between 30 and 40%. weather has a big impact on the OLM, I do not know that there is any way for the OLM to know what kind of oil is in there, I also do not think it has the ability to actually measure the condition of the oil. It is just running an algorithm that is looking at time, distance, temperature, length of run cycles, (short trips or long trips) RPMs and time at RPMs and maybe a few other things that there are sensors for. The OLM knows if you drive like an old lady or if you are beating on it and will adjust the OLM to match. If there is a sensor to measure condition and or type of oil, please tell me where it is so I can get the specs for it.

As for the oil filter, dirt is dirt, it collects in the filter it does not matter if you have dino or synth oil. To make a filter last longer it either has to have more surface area so it takes longer to plug up, or allow more dirt to pass so that it takes longer for just the big chunks to plug it up.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
2011 duramax. Mobile 1, 5w-40 goes in thanksgiving weekend, 15w-40 goes in usually around may. I write the mileage down but I generally don’t get to 10k interval I’m rated for. Probably around 7-8k at the most

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GM’s Oil Life Monitor(OLM) system is not a mileage counter. The computer continuously monitors engine-operating conditions and a built-in software algorithm determines when to change oil based in those conditions. There is no actual oil condition sensor.

Beginning with the 2013 models GM re-calibrated the OLM system to include a mileage parameter. The system works just like it did before, however when the vehicle has gone 5000 miles since the previous oil change the system jumps from whatever the percentage was to 20% oil life remaining. It is unknown why they made this change but a possibility is they determined the longer oil change intervals may have had a negative impact on long term engine performance.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I haven't looked at a newer trucks handbook for oil recommendations; but it is safe to say that GM wants to keep the oil as clean as possible. Dirty oil and AFM lifters don't play well.

In 2011 the GM spec was changed to Dexos 1. This spec applies to blended and full synthetic, in which case, a 6000 mile change is not appropriate (in my opinion).

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I haven't looked at a newer trucks handbook for oil recommendations; but it is safe to say that GM wants to keep the oil as clean as possible. Dirty oil and AFM lifters don't play well.

In 2011 the GM spec was changed to Dexos. This spec applies to blended and full synthetic, in which case, a 6000 mile change is appropriate.
In the manual for my 2015 Silverado, it recommends dexos1 Synthetic Blend, more specifically SAE 0W-20 for the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines and
SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade for the 4.3L V6, and 6.0L V8 engines. It says nothing, one way or the other, about conventional oil or full synthetic.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
In the manual for my 2015 Silverado, it recommends dexos1 Synthetic Blend, more specifically SAE 0W-20 for the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines and
SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade for the 4.3L V6, and 6.0L V8 engines. It says nothing, one way or the other, about conventional oil or full synthetic.
I only looked up the spec overview.
The overview said it could, and does, apply to full synthetic and to blended oils.
However, the oil company must have their oil pass GM's lab test and the company must pay a licence fee to use the name.

BTW, thanks for quoting me in that post, I just noticed an error I made.
I thought I had said "not appropriate" , I didn't, so I have fixed it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, thanks for quoting me in that post, I just noticed an error I made.
I thought I had said "not appropriate" , I didn't, so I have fixed it.
No worries, we are all here to learn and help each other out. :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
555 Posts
On my 2015 2500... oil change once a year. Except for the 1st year, it doesn't rack up more than 5000 miles a year.

The 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6.... about 6000 miles. Our 2017 Equinox, between 6000 and 7000 miles.

Same Schaeffer 5w30 syn used in all of them.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah, I got too hasty in this thread. Had a main water pipe burst in my basement Friday evening and it has been hectic getting things cleaned up and dried out. I misspoke about using Schaeffer 5w30 in all three vehicles. Only in the Silverado and Equinox. I do use the Pennzoil 10w30 in the CTS. I get it at my local farm and home store for about $15-$16 for a 5 quart jug. Mileages I stated is accurate.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Since I bought my 2004 Chrysler Crossfire (same engine and chassis as the Mercedes 320SLK) new in 2004 (go figure) I've been using Mobil1 0w-40 as per owner's manual with change intervals 0f 7,500 miles. sold it in 2016 and 186,000 miles with no loss of oil, burning or otherwise, between oil changes. Have been using it in all of my vehicles since - same intervals, same results. Somewhere around 2010 Chrysler/Benz allowed 10w-40 so, living in AZ I switched to it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am running synthetic 5W30 in my '15 Silverado.

Going by GM's Oil Life System (OLS), I average 7300 miles between oil changes. I can probably get more but when the OLS gets down to 5% I change the oil.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts