GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
I am running synthetic 5W30 in my '15 Silverado.

Going by GM's Oil Life System (OLS), I average 7300 miles between oil changes. I can probably get more but when the OLS gets down to 5% I change the oil.
Yeah you probably could get more out of it. I wouldn't do so though. The uniqueness of the VVT, AFM lifters, etc, not letting particulates, wear metals, etc build up too much to be a detriment to those touchy components. I am a fan of taking things longer, but knowing about these technical issues, my comfort zone will not allow me to go beyond 6000 miles on my '15 Silverado. Same with our 2017 Equinox. I am not so paranoid about our '06 Cadillac CTS 3.6 so I tend to go a little further.

I just reset the "trip 2" to zero and go with that. I really don't pay any attention to the OLM except to reset it when I change the oil.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
5% is my threshold. The PurolatorONE oil filter I use is rated to 10,000 miles and 99% debris removal. So changing oil at at 7300 miles still gives me a safe interval.

When the OLS gets down to 10%, I begin closely monitoring my schedule. If I do not think I will be able to do the oil change at 5%, I will do so sooner even if it is 7% 0r 8%. I rather err on the side of caution and change the oil to soon rather than have it get down to less than %5 before I change it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think the reasoning why my comfort zone is around 6000 miles / 1 year is that my vehicles are all on E85 fuel exclusively and have been for over 2 years. The pickup has been getting annual oil changes because it rarely does more than 5000 miles a year. Last oil change in it was in July 2018, so it is coming up for a change again. The other vehicles are on mileage determined oil changes.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I tried E85 in my truck..., hated it. Both power and mileage noticeably suffered on it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah, mileage suffers. But if that is the only thing one looks at, they could be taking it in the shorts.

For instance, E85 in my area is going for $1.66 a gallon. My 2017 Equinox gets an average (all miles.. city, highway, rural, gravel roads, etc) of about 22 mpg on the stuff. That equates to about 7.5 cents a mile.

Regular is going for $2.46, for my Nox to break even at 7.5 cents a mile on the stuff, it would have to average for all miles over 32 mpg. Not going to happen unless a killer tail wind and going down hill.

My 2015 Silverado 2500 averages about 11 mpg on E85 for all miles, for about 15 cents a mile. On regular, it would have to average almost 18 mpg for all miles. Again, not without a strong tail wind and going downhill.

So yeah, the mpg is less, but the cost per mile is substantially less also. Power is unchanged. My 2500 did a killer job pushing snow last winter on E85. It hauls and tows everything I need to get done.

The Nox with its 11.2:1 compression ratio runs exceedingly well on E85 with its 100 Octane rating. Much smoother than on regular. E85 exceeds Premium in Octane rating and is almost half the price in my area. Burns cleaner. A win-win no matter how anyone slices it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So this was in a sales Brochure for my 2012 2500 6.0;
Gen IV engines share low-maintenance features, such as anticipated spark plug life of 100,000 miles and engine coolant that maintains its cooling and corrosion-inhibiting properties for 150,000 miles. Scheduled maintenance is limited to oil changes, and thanks to GM’s industry-leading Oil Life System, a customer should never pay for an unnecessary change. The Vortec 6.0L’s ECM records engine temperature, length of operation at a given temperature and several other operating parameters, and then indicates an oil change when it's actually needed, rather than according to a predetermined interval.

With that being what it is. I average around 5K a year on my truck. OLM never gets to 50%, So I chose Annually.
This year the wife went ill and had surgery, May is my change date, this year, 3800 miles on Mobil1 synthetic and Mobil 1 Filter!

·
Registered
655 Posts
2012 5.3l Silverado 1500 all stock. I use Mobil 1 and do change it about 7000 mile intervals. I twice has the oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs and the oil was only about 50% used up. I did use Mobile Extended life but only had about 8000 miles on the oil after 1 year. My last oil changed I had a Chevrolet dealer do the oil change and completely forgot to mention the oil brand. They used Pennzoil Synthetic Blend but I’ll still go 7500 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
I change oil and oil filter at 5000 miles. I use Liqui Moly 5w30. Do you have problems with oil produced illegaly? It's a great problem in Russia.
Well I like the Russian people, but I'd be pretty alert on 'Top Grade" oil. I'm not saying anything about Russia , but there a lot of shady operation when it gets down to the Russian population. Every night I say my preys and Thank got I live here in the USA.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well I like the Russian people, but I'd be pretty alert on 'Top Grade" oil.
That’s why I switched to Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 A3/B4 several months ago and I’m going to try Amsoil Signature Series 5w30. They are not popular in my country. I saw a lot of guys who used ‘Top Grade’ synthetic Mobil, Castrol or LiquiMoli and had problems with the engines. Not because these oils are bad, but there was the cheapest conventional oil inside. That’s why I tried to change my oil every 5000 miles, supposing that there could be dino oil inside. Now, I’m going to try Amsoil, because it’s imported directly from the US. Yes, it costs a lot: the same as in the US, but we are twice as poor as Americans here in Russia. But buying American and Canadian oil (we have Petro Canada also), I’m sure in its quality instead of buying ultra-modern European or Russian oils.

·
Registered
135 Posts
but there a lot of shady operation when it gets down to the Russian population. Every night I say my preys and Thank got I live here in the USA.
The situation is really hard nowadays. And a lot of talented people have been leaving my country for this reason. But I see the real improvement in our mentality every year. When I was a child some shady tricks were not the shame if committed for profit even if they made harm to other people. Now more and more people think that it’s not a good lifestyle.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts