GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what the title says wondering what others have used and their effects.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Pretty much the cheaper parts due to them needing to be changed in the colder climates yearly or so thanks to Gms poor deisgn and the corrosion after a year of use.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Vortec ones that bad? My first one. My ole HEI went for years

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Yes it is a poor design, and those of us who live up here in the cold/wet environment go thru them. They need to be checked every spring. and dont be surprised if they are that corroded. that is why most GM guys agree that once a year change, though you may get more time.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Check out Performancedistributors.com, has what they call a Vortec Firepower Ignition Kit.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Firepower kit will take care of it? Any performance gain or just reliability.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
The Firepower kit will take care of it? Any performance gain or just reliability.
Unless you have some massive power adders on the motor you wont notice any performance gain since the factory ignition system can handle alot more than what your stock motor requires. However it does allow for more reliability. Which in your hunt for milage will help since it wont wear out as fast and will help you maintain the same milage longer.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
aloxdaddy99, Blacksheep1 has a '99 4.3 V-6 Vortec, not a 5.3.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Not really particular on the brand, I just make sure they have brass electrodes so they don't erode & corrode as fast.

·
Registered
193 Posts
NAPA Belden Max Wire Sets Have A Patented Jacket Formulation For Maximum Protection & Enhanced Core For Maximum Energy To The Plug. This Industry Leading Technology Is Engineered & Designed To Match The OE Fit & Form Specifications.; Low Ohm Distributed Resistance Core
Warranty
Limited Lifetime

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use whatever I can get, just put on a Duralast Gold cap and rotor with gold plated contacts, seems nice, and the wires are whatever off brand that was cheapest, and plugs are AC Delco Platinum's, only thing my truck will work with, melts copper tops like they were butter.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Napa Belden wires and AC Delco plugs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts