GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang!

I know we're all tired of these questions, but I've done some homework first before asking! :) Looking at 4wheelparts.com's tire fittment chart (http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/tire_fitment.html), there is not a 80s-91 body style tire fit listed for the suburban. Going off the '92 specs, it's showing that I need a 4" lift to stick 34s in the wheel wells. How close is this? I pretty much only have a choice between a 2" and a 4" lift from RoughCountry because it's a 2wd burb. I'd like to stick somewhere between 33s and 35s under the truck, depending on what my final ride height is. Thanks for any help that can be rendered!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I have a 1987 Blazer with 4" lift and 35's, and my buddy has a 1989 Suburban with the same set-up. Both 4X4's.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, don't the factory 2wd trucks ride lower than the factory 4wds?

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, what do you think would fit under it with no lift...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I think it will depend on how wide of rims you decide to go with. With a 4" lift I'd recommned going with 33's. I see that you have 3.08 gears so I'm guessing your going to upgrade them as well. You could most likely fit a 34" tire and possibly a 35 but they might be alittle to wide go full turn. 33's look great on every lift under 6or 7 inches and they're are alot more brands that offer tires in the size.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
on my 2wd truck it is slightly lower in the front than a 4x4 would. With no lift I am currently running 31.somethings with no rubbing.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
yea with no lift Id also suggest a 31" inch tire and with the 4" Id go with finalday and say the 33".... You wont have to worry about them looking stuffed or having rubbing issues and it will definitely look good

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
taking ya'll size suggestions in mind, and trying to sort through the myriad of off-road tires available, I think I've found a couple of winners. So, this truck primarily does highway driving, but for the most part, when I get to where I'm going, I'm off-road. Not neccisarily mud-bogging, but I'd like the piece of mind to know that I won't get stuck in the "red mud" of Mississippi. I also want to maintain as much wet road traction as possible, I've had some horrible experiences losing traction in my Ford Contour.... With all this in mind, I've found a couple tires that I *think* will do the job. http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT65144.aspx and http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT65223.aspx What do ya'll think? I'm always open to suggestions as this is rather unknown country to me. I'm hoping these will fit onto my factory 15 inch aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Those tires are pretty much boggers. They will be loud on the highway and will wear pretty quickly. A couple of my friends have them on their cherokees and they are excellent offroad but not great on the highways. If I were in your shoes I would go with a set of all terrains or maybe some mud terrains. Personally I have general grabber AT2's on my suburban and I love them. not many people seem to like general tires on this website but mine were cheap like 109 a tire and are great in the rain, snow and mud and are nice and quiet on the road.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
yea you definatly dont want super swampers unless your gonna do the majority of your driving off road. TSL's are great in mud and dirt and off road but not good on road and thornbirds are badically only good in mud I know that from experience with these tires. For you I would suggest:
for all terrains:
-super swamper trxus sts (they are super swampers all terrain but are pretty good in most conditions and are not too knobby) 1st choice
- BFG All terrain (pretty good in most conditions and decent on road)
-Nitto Terra grappler ( not ass aggresive as the other two but still a decent tire)
-Cooper discoverer ST
For mud terrains:
-Cooper discoverer STT ( Great tire on and off road) 1st Choice
- Toyo Open Country MT ( great tire all around but a little more pricey)
-BFG Mud terrain ( will be a little rougher on teh roads but are decent on and of the road)
-Nitto Mud Grappler ( much more expensive but good tire)

So in all try the trxus STS for an all terrain

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/superswamer_TrXus_STS.htm

and for mud terrains its the Cooper STT

http://www.coopertires.com.au/tyres/stt_new.htm

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Cooper ST's and STT are very good tires. I have the ST's on my 2wd and even though they are almost bald now I still get good traction with them. They are great in the snow and good in the rain.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
yea my buddy had the ST on his f350 when he plowed and mowed through everything even though they were almost bald

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If your doing alot of highway driving i'd suggest an AT tire. Mud tires are just so loud and annoying on the highway. I took my new AT tires on the highway this weekend and still heard a bit of sound coming from them. Anyways, BFG AT's are great all around tires. The wear great, they good on noise and great of performance both on and off road. They are pretty pricey but in tires, sometimes you get what you pay for. If your looking for something a little more inexpensive, I had the dakota at tires on my last truck and they were a really good tire. They sell them at pepboys and they're like 100 bucks a piece. It was a 2wd truck and did great in bad conditions like mud and sand. Well just my .02 :rofl:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts