GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to install a good CB radio and was wondering what radios would be good and what to stay away from. Thanks

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I used to have a CB in my 95 Tahoe, but don't have one in my truck currently. Don't remember the brand, but had a nice K40 antenna mounted to the roof. Got great reception. What radio are you looking at?

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry not to reply in a timely manner, last minute move across three states. It has been some thirty years since I have had need or desire for one but things change you know. Last I had was a Johnson black face with a 30 watt kicker. Are these terms even used anymore?. Any way I was looking at some uniden radios and they seem to be prety well featured and reasonable in cost. Also Cobra had a pretty good reputaion but I don't know now. Thanks for any enlightenment.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
How do you like your little wilson??
Haven't used it much yet, but it gets out really good and it's easy to tune...got my SWR down to 1.4

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've got a galaxy for my big Pete.. I've had Cobras and Unidens all have been good..Always used K40 anntennas.... Buy yourself a mid to top of the line radio and a good antenna and I'm sure it'll be good for you.

·
Registered
1997 Chevy Cheyenne K3500, cc, lb, dly, dzl, 2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71, 2003 Chevy Avalanche Z66
276 Posts
Just remember not to place your CB or its antenna wire anywhere near your trailer brake controller. Bad things happen when those two devices are close to each other.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just remember not to place your CB or its antenna wire anywhere near your trailer brake controller. Bad things happen when those two devices are close to each other.
I don't have a brake controller yet, but plan on installing one in the future. How close to the radio is too close??

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
I run a Galaxy DX949 radio and a Wilson Lil Will mag-mount antenna in the Suburban currently. It really reaches out quite nice. I do plan to upgrade to a K40 antenna, I just don't know when I'll get around to it.

·
Registered
1997 Chevy Cheyenne K3500, cc, lb, dly, dzl, 2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71, 2003 Chevy Avalanche Z66
276 Posts
I don't have a brake controller yet, but plan on installing one in the future. How close to the radio is too close??
I also belong to a forum for travel trailer owners, and they had a thread on what happens when you place the CB and the Brake Controller too close to each other. Basically, the RF energy from the CB will mess with the brake controller, activating it every time you are transmitting. I'm still not sure if this applies only to certain models or types of brake controllers, but the safe bet is to keep them apart from each other. Both items are typically mounted low under the dash, but if you want to have both then I suggest possibly the CB in the middle of the truck and the brake controller next to the driver's door, or one under the dash, and other in an overhead spot. Just remember to keep the CB antenna wire away from any wiring for the brake controller.

I'm trying to figure out where to mount my CB, as I had my brake controller professionally installed, and they mounted it under the dash close to my right leg. I have on older K2500 without any overhead consoles, so now I have to figure out where to put the CB. I'm considering getting one of those CBs that have all the controls on the handset, but the power and RF unit are remote mounted.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a "chopped" milk crate mounted on the tranny hump for storage, and my CB is bolted to the side left of the crate up against my leg. If I mount a brake controller under my dash, centered below the steering wheel, it should be about 18 inches away from the radio. Think this is distance enough? The antenna wire is routed under the driver's seat heading aft.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
So long as the CB and brake controller are not stacked on one another, and the antenna connections are good, you should be fine. A separation of 12 inches should be sufficient to keep any stray RF out of the brake controller.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cool...thanx!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts