GM Truck Club Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Did this about a month ago, but following the recommend from @Beachbourbon, I put Pirelli Scorpion ATR’s on my wife’s Explorer. Ruby, as we call her, has never been quieter. Those garbage Goodyear Wranglers were so ridiculously loud, you couldn’t hold a decent conversation even at 30 miles per hour. Thanks, Burb!

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
119 Posts
I wish they made new steering wheels that were easy to replace. I like the feel of the factory one. I just hate it when they get all worn out and nasty looking.
Is yours still covered or just rubber? I had the factory covered steering wheel... Vinyl? Leather? Who knows... Once it started to fall apart at the top, I trimmed the material back to the nearest seam. This exposed the clean rubber beneath and left the "intact" covered portion of the wheel. Still debating removing the entire factory cover.

You can see the very shiny, smooth wheel where the material was still present. The rough rubber is from a decade of driving with a hole in the material at the top of the wheel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Or are you referring specifically to the 80-era wheels? Because those are a whole different animal
😀

·
Registered
119 Posts
Decided to tear into it and replace a faulty wiring harness on my HID lights. Once inside, I figured out I need 2 new harnesses instead of 1 and there was considerable rust from a failed battery and melted evidence of a possible electrical short. The harness I thought I had found in the shop turned out to be a ballast. So, here we are... Disabled and parked in the middle of the driveway. 🙂
20200705_132340.jpg

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Well first of all, I’m still alive in the Covid-19 era...in fact I still don’t know anyone who has had it. Anywho, been busy and having trouble facing the new forum interface...ok I hate it...there I said it...and it is driving me away from contributing...there I said that too...of course that’s like a tree falling in the forest...admins wont hear or care...but enough about the lame..I’m redoing my front yard and have turned my SUV into a truck to haul heavy duty stuff like this
74F2DC64-3A28-4E5E-B35A-BECF7CDE1483.jpeg

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
@Beachbourbon I also am still having a hard time with the new format. I reappeared yesterday after quite a while off. Iv been on www.GMT400.com though, it's the same format as the old site. I miss you all tho and so I check in occasionally without logging in... I saw some posts i could help with and had to lend a hand.

Man I have a bunch of stuff to do on both of my trucks but not much time and it's stupid hot as hell here in Southern Ontario. The Beach is calling me and so I try to be there as much as we can.... out at camp on Lake Huron.

20200619_210448.jpg

The Sierra has a bunch of new cab body panels to weld in, real ones not patches. A new fuel pump, New plumbing for the air shocks, new seat covers and new floor mats. It still isn't on the road. The Burb has a new fuel pump, new O2 sensors, new complete distributor, new plugs and wires just for the hell of it. New brake pads all around and some other sht I'm forgetting I'm sure.

Laid off, trying to start a plant nursery and work towards self employment. We built a friggin sweet greenhouse that isn't quite done since it got so damn hot out. Close though. It is filled with plants. We have one bad ass garden and will probably set up a roadside stand. Maybe. We tend to give our produce away instead but it's hard to make a living like that. ;)

20200710_090424.jpg

Anyways I haven't done any work on either of my trucks but I am planning on doing so. Haha

Take it easy guys!

Al

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I really miss all you great guys, and feel bad not being around as much. I wanted to let you know I’m safe, and I hope you all are too. I sincerely hope everyone is ok in these trying times. If I can help anyone, send me a message. And for old times sake, I’ll let you know after a really tough week my wife helped me with an attitude adjustment by bringing home this

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hang in there Beach! We’re all adjusting to this nonsense. Your wife is a smart lady! 😎 I’m a big knob creek fan myself. Small batch single barrel, barrel proof (120), now that’s my jam.

Reactions: Beachbourbon

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I was initially in the same "I hate the new format" club, but it's finally growing on me. Or should I say I'm finally conforming!

Well, most recently I didn't do anything to my truck, but my nephew sure did. He pegged an antelope at an undisclosed speed. My son claims it was only about 65mph, but I have hit multiple animals that size and never disintegrated them like he did! I'm going with 80+mph. Did enough damage for the insurance to consider it a total loss.... again. You would think they would get sick of paying out on the same vehicle so many times. As I started the rebuild process, I came across a clean title, straight body Escalade that's missing the engine and trans. I think that's the new plan. My engine and trans only has 162K miles and runs like a top, so it will be nice to drop it into a straight body and not have to worry about all the rebuild hoops the state wants me to jump through.... again!

I only have 5 more days of work until my 2 week vacation. At least now I know what I'll be doing on my Covid-forced vacation plan change!

Reactions: Beachbourbon

·
Registered
119 Posts
moderate griping disclaimer

Pulled the bed off Moses today to do the fuel pump. ACDelco pump won't be in until Friday because it's the 2 plug kind, so Project 1 stalled.

Tried to drop my truck bed when the retaining clip on the come along broke. See picture.

Got started on the ceased caliper (same vehicle). Installed the first one without really paying attention and put it on the wrong side. Doesn't matter...it's the wrong part and had to come off, anyway. I didn't check them close enough in the store and they are 1 digit off from each other. NAPA is closed on Sunday, so I'm stuck until at least Monday afternoon...Project 2 stalled.

Began rewiring my HID headlights after waiting 3 weeks for the new relay harnesses to come in from California. I took out the old ones due to acid damage from a damaged battery and I wanted my brights back. I haven't had those for almost a year and a half. Got most of the wiring run and hooked it up to test the lights. Currently, nothing happens. Just a flicker......Project 3 stalled because it's midnight and I no longer care.

The wife's Suburban has an appointment with a transmission shop Monday to diagnose a looooooong gear change between every gear (up or down), so we will be down to the 2000 C2500 with intermittent AC to haul us and the 3 kiddos around. The wife's thrilled to road trip in it to see her parents next weekend. I told her she's just sampling REAL Florida living, not that hoitey toitey St. Pete life she's used to.

Alright. Griping over. Hope everyone else's projects went off without a hitch today!
20200725_192003.jpg

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Well, I didn't do it to it, but I did it for it. The other Escalade I mentioned didn't end up being such good thing, so back to the original plan of replacing it. Two days of searching and test driving drove me back to the original-original plan of rebuilding the Escalade again. So what I did for it was spend a few ours online deciding what stuff to buy for it to turn it into a tank. $1800 later, I have a pile of parts and tools filtering in over the next week. I was able to squeeze a few cool things into my purchase that I didn't tell the wife about. It shouldn't take her too long to figure out the Escalade will now have Car Play and backup camera. I got a head unit that has two camera inputs so I can mount one low for backup and trailer hook up that will only come and take over the screen in reverse, and the other I think I will mount up higher as a load watching camera. That one will only come on when I turn it on. Along with that stuff, it's getting 100% new suspension, including new A arms. The shop is getting a few additions too, a chop saw, drill press, and a plasma cutter. Along with that will be a few hundred pounds of cold rolled steel to make a bumper with. Hopefully I can get all the repair/mods done in my two weeks off work.

·
Registered
13,579 Posts
WOW, all that (and a bag of chips) for $1800!

Reactions: JackE

·
Registered
119 Posts
Silverado
  • Exchanged incorrect caliper
  • Finished rewiring (and corrected) headlights
    • The relays were crossed on the far side, thereby back feeding my brights whenever the headlights were on. 🤦
  • Prototyped and began installing toolbox and bed lighting
    • Custom wood switch box in toolbox tray
    • Hard wired to power supply from fuse box
    • Relay to turn on when cargo lights active
    • Lights riveted to toolbox lid
Suburban
  • Confirmed need of rebuilt trans
  • Ordered from GM through mechanic
  • Picking up trans tomorrow
  • Installed next week
Turned into an expensive weekend. But still better than a car payment!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
WOW, all that (and a bag of chips) for $1800!
Actually, ya! The chips too, I still have a few bags left of the genuine Canadian All Dressed that I smuggled over the border last year!

I'll catalog all my shenanigans' over the next few weeks. I have poked around this site and can't seem to find a section for showcasing a build thread like some other sites have. Am I just missing it, or do I put it wherever it seems to fit best? I might as well start one for the Escalade since it seems like it will be with me for a while.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
119 Posts
Actually, ya! The chips too, I still have a few bags left of the genuine Canadian All Dressed that I smuggled over the border last year!

I'll catalog all my shenanigans' over the next few weeks. I have poked around this site and can't seem to find a section for showcasing a build thread like some other sites have. Am I just missing it, or do I put it wherever it seems to fit best? I might as well start one for the Escalade since it seems like it will be with me for a while.
I think this is the purpose of the "Showcase" section? Not sure...it's not easy to navigate to on a phone.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Cant do crap with all this rain. Its been raining for a week. No flood issues, or anything, its just raining.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts