GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 568 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just curious what type of diversity we have in this group?

What are your passions/hobbies other than the suburbon?

I am a terminal fisherman and am working on a street rod, 1946 Chevy pickup. (4 door crew cab version ;-))

I also have a 1927 Studebaker Dictator, all original.

Maybe that has something to do with why I keep "upgrading the burbon"....

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I work for a software company doing marketing and web development.

I haven't had any auto projects for a while (since I got married and have a little one at home). Looking for a house that will afford me to build a workshop in the back. Then I'll look for a project.

Reactions: insurancemarket

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unfortunatly due to various injuries over time I had to retire early from working as a Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanic(I am now a human Barometer). My wife and I decided to open a pawnshop that we've been operating now for just over 5yrs.
So as a hobby I am able to still play with my trucks(my other one is a 1976 C20 long bed 400HP SBC Th350 3.73 14 bolt FF rear with 1ton suspension) and build the occasional engine. When my daughter gets a little more older(she's 17months right now) I plan to lift it, put a Dana60 up front and a Dana70 in the rear, and then transplant a CAT 3126 into it(it will fit with some mods). I am working on gathering the parts for now, it will hell of a ride when it's done. :p

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
nice. Would love to see some pictures of that project. I keep threatening to put a member's photo gallery on here for people to upload to, but I just can't find the time. Besides working 50+ hours per week at my full time job and running this site... I've got an 8 month old boy at home that's been occupying my time as well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kids tend to take some time, I have three girls 10,7 & 4 months. So I know the drill. Steve if I can help at all with that photo gallery let me know, I have some experience with older versions of PHPNuke. (I work at a software Co during the day also)

·
Registered
27 Posts
A photo gallery would be awsome, this way we can oggle the various Suburbans out there as well as any project documenting.
Kids are a blast, I can't wait to teach my daughter how to build an engine( she already has her first tool set), She's possessed with the Suburban and other Diesel powered vehicles. Sure puts a smile on my face. :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Well, I am not happy at all with the gallery. That doesn't give the right permissions at all! I am going to play around with some of the other ones this morning and maybe we'll have a winner before lunch today. This site is built off of an outshoot from PHPNuke, it's postnuke, but they're designed in a similar way.

Reactions: Frank Bukowski

·
Registered
42 Posts
well since im only 30 yrs old..........im a tuner also..i have a 1996 z24 cavalier that i show, and i also have a 1961 volkswagen beetle that i show also. so between the tuner shows and the bug bashes im sorta in the grind. and when im not at the shows im doing other things like drawing, airbrushing, and cleaning up the vehicles of course :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Only 31 here. I whacked my knee on my desk this morning and was walking around all day like I was crippled. Felt like I was 91.

Reactions: Joe Kertiss

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I'm working on the photo gallery. There are a couple of new modules that I can play with and try to install on a dummy site before I try to go live. I'll post a message on the main board and ask people their preferences.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hope to see some awesome pics in the gallery!
My paying job is working at a bank as a supervisor. My non-lucrative, but entirely much more rewarding job is raising my 13 yr old daughter, and staying up late nights with my 3 week old son. My suburban was given to me by my father, and I intend to make it my ongoing project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don´t drive a Suburban yet, but I´m thinking of buying one. I think joining this club could give me some hints about models, differences between manufacturing years etc. I´m 39 years old and live in Sweden. I´m managing a small ( 25 employees) business unit in the electrical installation branch. This BU is one of about 20 in Vinci Energies Sweden. I have a wife and four children 7m, 4y, 12y and 17y. The youngest three are girls. The 12 year old girl wants me to build a 1/2 scale copy of a Willys Jeep CJ2 for here.... no problem with a common interest there, it´s more a problem with lack of time. The boy wants me to buy and restore an El Camino for him. As i work quite long days i don´t have the time for it right now. Me myself have always, as long as i remember, been interested in cars, trucks, tractors and so on. I started to restore my first car at 17, it´s an Volvo P-1800 which i still own. The work with the Volvo was really a challenge due to it´s bad condition, but i think the result was great. In my youth me and friends were cruising around in american cars from the 50´s and 60´s, listening to real rock´n roll such as Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Gene Vincent and so on. We had Brylcreeme (pomada) in the hair, and pointed toe shoes, the common outfit for a swedish "greaser". Example of cars we were cruising in was Pontiac Star Chief -57, Oldsmobile NinetyEight -59, Chevrolet Impala -63, Buick -55 Convertible, Cadillac -58 convertible. I realy enjoyed those days, we had a' lot of fun. Then the children started to arrive and my life was changing direction. This was even more fun but in another way. Life goes on you know. I still dream about a Cadillac Eldorado -53 convertible in mint condition and hope that i some day can afford to buy one. I´m now trying to combinate my interest for big cars with V8´s with family response and comfort. I think buying a Suburban is the way to do it. I would love to cruise in it whith my family, listening to wife´s idol Bruce Springsteen ( to get here in a good mood) :wink:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome aboard Pekero! Glad to have you with us, that's a neat story.

If we can help answer any questions about these wonderful suburbans for you just post them here.

-- Michael

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Right on, that's a good diverse set of automobiles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like I'm the odd man (woman) out. I'm 27 year old stay at home mom. My daughter just turned 1 and I was driving a toyota matrix. I told my husband when I got back from Costco that I need more room. The next week we brought home the big green monster. I love it. I joined the forum so I can see what exciting things are possible. My husband, Vee (ellis) joined in too. We love to change things up and make the most out of our vehicles. I can't wait to see what you guys have done...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Karey, Welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing photos of another green beast once the forum guy is ready. Its great to see that we've got some women involved. My wife doesn't particularily care to even ride in my burban, She drives a DTS and is pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
well i guess i get the old man badge, 50 last march, recovering from stroke in dec. last year thats why i'm here a lot. but still love our burbs 86 and a 94. just cant get used to the idea that they have gone from good old work trucks to yuppy mobiles.
i worked for GM at the framingham assembly plant for 15 years went to saturn for a while and now work construction, oops now sit at home on the farm since stroke. but triing to get back into the swing.
right now triing to replace a floor in our stock trailer, takeing a lot longer than it should. only able to work an hour or two a day, but getting better. have floor out and scraping rust off frame work, getting ready to run wires today, that and stretching some fencing in one off the feilds.
never enuf time for all the things i have to do and now never enuf energy. getting better tho.
spend more time on idiotnet than i would like, rather be working on trucks.

1 - 20 of 568 Posts