GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 95's got like 200K miles on it and trying to figure what to do with it. Rebuild the engine with new heads, pistons, cam, headers and exhaust with a power programmer, put in a newer vortec 5.7 with a cam and headers or order a GM crate engine for 4900 bucks that has like 385 ft lb torque and 350HP or something like that which comes with the accessories and fuel injection.

·
Registered
46 Posts
well i think it matters what ur goin to use it for,if your goin to use just for a daily driver then i would go with the 350,but if your using it for power then i would go with the 454

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Can you fit 454 502 in a 1500 Suburban?

Hey, just idle curiosity, but can you fit a 454 or the 502 in a 1500 Suburban(1998)? I'm guessing it is possible, but you would have to change out some the wiring harness,and the ecm,and it will be tricky to bolt on accessories-AC,ALTERNATOR,POWER STEERING ETC.
Like FIRE RED SAID ,GM makes big claims-340 hp,and 435 lb-ft for their drop in 383 stroker,and you get a full warranty.Granted it is $4200+shipping +"other stuff" so might as well figure $5000, but that is a lot of power-90hp more-for $5000 and a warranty.Only N20 would give that sort of boost more cheaply,and it would certainly break your motor eventually.
No other manufacturer gives such bang for the buck-not even close.Toyota racing Developement offered bolt on supercharger kits for vehicles, but they didn't work worth a crap,and didn't produce the claimed power.
I would bet that the 383 doesn't drink much more gas-maybe 5%-if you keep your foot out of it(ha,ha-good luck with that).
Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Have you tried these guys?

http://www.citymotorsupply.com/performance.htm

It’s a PDF file so I can’t copy a link for the performance engine page itself but just click on the performance word and the have lots of interesting things and depending on where you are, they are right in Texas. Dallas and San Antonio.

They have a stroker for $1400/exchanged. 4 bolt CNC machined, blue printed and balanced short block racing engine.

Or another one for $2,000 with some other options.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What engine ?

I just heard from a reliable source , to check the numbers on any GM block , if it's made in Mexico , don't build it . The metal in the blocks was cheaper , they didn't use zinc . If you're looking for power & reliability , why not a 2001-2006 8.1 , basicly the same engine {externally} as the 454 they put in all thru the 90s . Get one at a salvage yard , you get wiring & computers . As I've been told , change to 454 motor mounts , then it's plug-n-play . I'm planning to do just that to my 99 2-dr. Tahoe .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts