GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went a slightly cheaper way on my 1996 K1500. I just went with cat back exhaust with an x-pipe after the two cats. I absolutely love it and wouldn't want a different sound. I originally had it without the x-pipe and with cherry bombs, but went with the x-pipe. Really smooths out the sound. Much better!!

·
Banned
372 Posts
I haven't really been able to find anything but Gibson headers for my suburban...unless someone else knows where I can find them for the 8.1L

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'd say if you can find some fair priced long tube headers like pacesetter pick them up. The long tubes will offer you a much great HP/TQ increase. If your looking for some of the best I'd recommend dynatech. There pricey about 1100 bucks but there good. Also exhaust wise I'd probly go with 2 Magnaflow high flow cats and Magnaflow muffler. You'll save alot of money if you don't buy the whole package but get the 3 parts then take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld in the pipes. I'm not sure exactly what fits your truck but websites like truckaddons.com and others can help you get started. :great:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
When I put the new cat in a couple of weeks ago, I went with a catback system with a magnaflow muffler 3" tubing and the mandatory chrome tip. $340 and it sounds good. Sometimes a little noisy for me, but overall I'm happy. I did bump the sound system this weekend to compliment the tone outside with tunes inside.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If you want something loud then I would have to recommend the flowmaster 40 series, with 3" pipes and 3 1/2" Tips. If your worried about emissions I'd get two high flow cats instead of taking them off. Top it off with a nice manual cutout before the muffler and it will not only sound loud but nice a deep as well. Thats what I had on my last truck and I got compliments everywhere I went. Best part is, under 400 bucks. Minus the high flow cats which aren't important if your not worried about max performance. :great:

·
Banned
372 Posts
You could also just straight pipe it all the way back. The setup I have on mine is actually a dual exhaust setup.

For one, I have the factory exhaust system which is still fully functional.
The other, I have electric cutouts before the cats that allow me to open to the unbaffled sidepipes.

I'm loud when I wanna be...and stealthy when I need to be...hehehe

·
Banned
372 Posts
Do you notice any leaking with that electric cut-out?
Actually, there were little to no leaks after install. My problem (reference phrase in signature) is that I didn't get the GOOD ones and the motors burned out in the cut outs after about 6 months. Now its replacement time or I can just run open headers from here on out.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I had a manual cut-out on my last truck and even tho you have to get under it and undo 3 bolts it worked very well and cost 28 bucks. But looking at your truck I'm thinking something a little nicer might be in your future.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yeah the roads are too bad here for most people to lower there vehicles. All you see is messed up body kits on all the little 4bangers.

·
Banned
372 Posts
Well I can raise mine, but I kinda heard that about New Orleans. We were down in Biloxi, MS earlier this year and we thought about going to New Orleans after the show, but decided against it. I wanted to go, but after I heard about the road conditions I changed my mind. I'm glad I did b/c I was in my Suburban...I'm not afraid to go over bumps, but I got a lot of money tied up in my suspension and I don't need to tear something up 300 something miles from home.

·
Banned
372 Posts
80 thats obsurd. Only think I'm puttin 80 into is my viper. Well my one day viper. :great:
I guess it all depends on what your interests are. A big chunk was suspension. The other chunk was the truck itself. Aside from the actual cost of the truck I've got a little less than 45 total in it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts