GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am removing my chrome trim pieces off the bottom half of my truck to make way for some bed liner, and I am now fighting this crap:

Most of you guys are going to suggest a heat gun. Thanks, but I have tried that and it does NOT work. In fact, it has been making it more of a pain in the ass since it just makes it crusty and not willing to give.

The best thing I have been using is a type of paint thinner and a plastic scraper that doesn't seem to be hurting the paint (again, putting bed liner on the bottom half of the truck so I'm not too worried about it), but it's still way too much of a pain to keep doing it that way. I'm still willing to use the scraper, but there has GOT to be something better that will make it so much more easier to remove this ****!

I have also tried goo gone, and all it did was make it smell better. As much as I love the smell of oranges, I don't think too many people care what my truck smells like when it drives by, especially when all they can see is some gray gooey crap stuck to the side of it!

Any ideas would be great! The last resort is busting out the wire brush......but that would be AFTER I set fire to the entire truck!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
3M makes a liquid adhesive remover and also a eraser wheel that goes into a drill. Most auto parts stores have them.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
X2 on the eraser wheel, that usually does the trick for me.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I guess I'll go pick these up tomorrow. Thanks guys! I'll report how it works after I try it out.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
About the only thing I use WD40 for these days is to remove adhesive. You have to be patient though for it to dissolve the adhesive.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've tried it all. WD-40 didn't seem to do anything and the 3M Adhesive remover won't touch any thick stuff. The eraser wheels is the best option. But you can try this too. Spray the adhesive down with something that will adhere to it, like Goo Gone, and let it sit for about 1/2 hour, making sure to keep the tape wet. Then blast it with a high pressure washer.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About the only thing I use WD40 for these days is to remove adhesive. You have to be patient though for it to dissolve the adhesive.
WD40 didn't work. I'm sure it would on something a little thinner, but not this stuff.

I've tried it all. WD-40 didn't seem to do anything and the 3M Adhesive remover won't touch any thick stuff. The eraser wheels is the best option. But you can try this too. Spray the adhesive down with something that will adhere to it, like Goo Gone, and let it sit for about 1/2 hour, making sure to keep the tape wet. Then blast it with a high pressure washer.
The 3M Adhesive worked a little, and I did try Goo Gone, but never tried taping it.

I got an eraser wheel today and had the entire bed (both sides) done in an hour (had to pull the drivers side pieces). I would have kept going, but my elbow finally started to give after holding up my drill for that long. I'll have to get another wheel to get the rest of it, I think. Thank you guys for suggesting it! Made it way more nice then scraping it off, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts