GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Sierra SLT - On the left side of my dash, between the lights selector and trailer brake controls, I have a slot. Looks like a card slot of some sorts. What the heck is this?

IMG_6045.jpg

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Well Google says it's to hold gate passes, gas cards, tollway cards, etc. Whatever will fit, I reckon.

Ted

Reactions: Motor City Rick

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
That's an Integrated Trailer Brake Controller switch panel.

Ted

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is a card slot. I've got one on my '16 Sierra. I won't use it because I don't want it to scrape the magnetic strip on the back of my cards.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
What kind of card goes in there what it's for ? I've got a EZ-PASS transponder mounted to the inside of my windshield, but this ???????

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you need a pass card to get you in or out of a secured parking lot or gated community you can use the slot to hold the card until you get to where you need to swipe it. Close to the window and the power window switch. A lazy GM engineer had to come up with something to contribute to the design in order to collect a paycheck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kevin, what does the owner's manual say it's for?
If I could have found it, I wouldn't have had to post the question... :rolleyes: But seriously, the picture in the owner's manual didn't even show a slot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Google says it's to hold gate passes, gas cards, tollway cards, etc. Whatever will fit, I reckon.

Ted
I believe that's correct. Just not sure how someone came up with the idea and sold it to the decision makers. Give me a minute or two and I could have come up with a better idea on how to use the space.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, that's OK, but what does the switch above it do ? I got one on my 2015 Tahoe ?
Integrated Trailer Brake Control (ITBC). Not sure of all the particulars, but as I understand it, you use this to set up how much braking you want your trailer to do when you hit the brakes. Again, I'm no expert on this. :cool:

Reactions: Lerch98

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not trying to be a smart ass; but try page 124
I hear you. I've been on a few sites that if you post something without looking for it in the manual or asking before you search the site, you get your head bit off, so I always do my due diligence. I see it in the manual now, but you have to admit it's not easy to find. The picture on page 6 doesn't show the slot and I missed on page 7 where it said If equipped, see Instrument panel storage on page 124.

And I still wonder why someone thought it was the best use of the space.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well you see, some of us, including virtually all gm employees work in a fenced in area where you have to show/swipe a card to gain access into the gate to get to work. Having a nice little card holder in otherwise dead space is pretty handy for a lot of people. It could stand to be at more of an angle tho so it’s not so easy for cards to fly out of them

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
This is another reason to download an Owner's Manual for your truck. It makes it easy to search for an otherwise obscure feature you can't find thumbing through the manual.

Ted

Reactions: Lerch98

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
The My Chev app downloads a copy of your owner manual as soon as you enter vehicle data

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Not to boast my Sexy Charger, but it has the owners manual already downloaded in the touchscreen doo-hicky. I'll have to try the My Chevy app to see if there is any info available for my '99.

Reactions: RayVoy
1 - 20 of 27 Posts