GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
What kind of gas mileage are you getting

I have a 2004 Yukon XL loaded and love it. I am getting 14 to 15 MPG at most I believe I have a 3.73 rear end and 5.3 flex engine. I had bought a Hypertech Programmer III to help try ang get more MPG. I loaded the program and took off to San Antonio I averaged 15 to 16. Not exactly what I was looking for. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to try to get more MPG?

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
That's the million $$ question. :)

Keep your tires inflated properly. Don't do jack-rabbit starts. Keep your engine well-maintained, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have talked to countless people about the mpg. There is always some response to more air flow, change exhaust, program, rear end gear ratio. Will keep looking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my '05 2 wheel drive tahoe w/ the 5.3 averaged 16.4 on the way to and from jersey to SC. that was w/ no after market add ons, but obviously a lest constricted engine will flow better, so im looking in to some sort of intake, anyone have any suggestions as to which is the best one to get?

-fred
1995 tahoe LT (rip)
2005 tahoe

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2001 Yukon 4x4 and drove it from Flordia to Colorado and averaged 14-15 mpg doing about 70 to 75 mph on average. Over 2100 miles

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
That's really good mileage for driving those speeds. What engine do you have in it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my '99 Tahoe (5.7 Vortec). Took it on a mountain trip and got 15.9 mpg. Next fill-up, (mostly highway), I checked again and got 16.5! I was truly amazed. This thing gets better mileage than my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 6 cyl., and almost as good as my old Jimmy. I think the key to decent mileage with these vehicles is moderate driving speeds, no sudden starts, and try to keep the foot out of that 5.7 unless you really need it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my '99 Tahoe (5.7 Vortec). Took it on a mountain trip and got 15.9 mpg. Next fill-up, (mostly highway), I checked again and got 16.5! I was truly amazed. This thing gets better mileage than my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 6 cyl., and almost as good as my old Jimmy. I think the key to decent mileage with these vehicles is moderate driving speeds, no sudden starts, and try to keep the foot out of that 5.7 unless you really need it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used to get 12-13 mpg, then i replaced the fuel filter, the distributor, sparkplug wires and the EGR valve, and now i get 15 mpg on average... I'm also working on getting a reprogrammer and a throttle body spacer as well as headers and dual exaust, so that might change my gas mileage for better or worse...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just wondering, 04' Yukon XL with 5.3 vortec. I have seen lots of information about the direct air induction systems, the MPFI spacers and everything in between to help the air flow / fuel mixture. I have also noticed that on the bottom of the throttle body there is a hose coming from the radiator to the TB and on into the head. Why is this doesn't this heat up the air? won't this hurt the air fuel mixture? Seems like the air coming in should be cool and unrestricted, but it is not. Could this be a problem with fuel milage?? Have been told to bypass Coolant line going through TB and install MPFI Spacer, it would help MPG. Also have looked at the new Fram Boost for unrestriced air flow. Any thoughts? Anyone tried these items?

Chevy Truck Parts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '03 Tahoe Z71 with the 5.3L and flex fuel. I get about 16mpgs on average and when I'm traveling on the interstate I've gotten as much as 20mpgs. IF I slow down on a daily basis to no more than 60 going to work I have been able to bump it to 18mpg...

That said I used to have and '02 2wheel drive with the 5.3L and flex fuel. I always got at least 19 and way better on long highway trips. Of course that was back when gas was still .99 a gallon in FL too....

I plan on getting a Volant cold air intake soon. My hubby is very active in the Chevy Avalanche club and the guys have good luck with them as well as the K&N intakes...

Brenda in NJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts