GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, my buddy's 2008 Silverado was broken into in a parking lot..
He has the factory alarm on it, but it didn't seem to go off when they broke in. (The security guards roaming the parking lot didn't hear any alarms going off..)
My buddy knows for sure he locked his doors using his factory keyless entry (which should have activated his factory alarm.. that does work), and that all of his windows are were up completely. There was no broken glass or anything.. so our thinking is that that they unlocked the driver's door by prying into behind the exterior driver's door handle (there were pry marks around the handle on the paint that weren't there before). Then somehow, they unlocked the door.. and that disabled the factory alarm (which does disable if you unlock the door using the door lock key cylinder) because it thought they key was unlocking it..

Luckily they got into the truck and didn't get anything. His dashboard was beat up pretty bad from where they tried to take his in-dash DVD/Navi Pioneer system (but they couldn't figure out how to get it out), and everything was thrown around inside the truck like they were looking for something valuable. A shop is saying there's $800 worth of damage, and his insurance is picking it up..

With all that being said, I'm pretty paranoid about someone breaking into my truck the same way they broke into his. They obviously know how to get around the factory system, and I know there's others out there that know how to get around any security system. But, I figure anything is better than nothing.

I've just got the factory keyless entry/security system on my truck. A shop out here can install a Viper 5901 for $299.. which sounds pretty good to me because it gives me remote start and the security system part.. and I can add a window controller for another $150..

Anyone have any other suggestions or a review on the Viper 5901?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a Viper 350HV

get a Viper

...also I bet your buddy didn't lock the doors. Either that or with the keyless entry he disengaged the door locks. With keyless entry you can easily do that but hitting the button when putting your keys in your pocket. All it takes is a some pressure on the button and the keyless opens your doors. I know as I have done it myself and now I am very conscious of locking my doors and making sure they stay locked.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Well first off the factory alarm does not protect much. You want a good aftermarket alarm from DEI(Viper,Python,Clifford) Autopage,Code Alarm. Most alarms come with SHOCK sensors.. BUT do NOT come with Glass Sensors...What does this mean??? With just a shock sensor they can break your window and grab what ever they want and the alarm will NOT go off unless they open the door. The Glass Sensor is a high pitched mic that will pick up the sound of tapping on the glass or breaking it..For the extra $30-50 bucks well worth it.. I used to sell one everytime I sold a alarm...

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I use a Glock 40 Cal. I am far sighted so in case I am not wearing my glasses, I always keep both magazines loaded.

Well that works great Only IF you are in the truck.. I think he wants to protect it when he's not close....

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I keep a 9 iron under the back seat:rofl: But the aforementioned Viper, Autopage etc... should do the trick.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The only way the stock alarm goes off is if the door is locked and then opened from the inside. Its kind of a stupid thing but its cheap. I would go with Viper. Viper has so much cool stuff now a days.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
my autopage two way alarm has made me very happy!
my friends will always walk by my truck and tap on it if they want me to come outside to say hi cuz the second i hear my pager chirping im out the door in less than 15 seconds with a knife and bat tryin to see if someones messin with my truck and its their dumbasses and thank god it has only been my friends messing with me but that does give me some comfort knowing that if they just tap on it it does the warning beeps and alerts me, so i feel safER for when a burglar tries to mess with it

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use a Glock 40 Cal. I am far sighted so in case I am not wearing my glasses, I always keep both magazines loaded.
Hahaha, sounds good to me. I have my chrome knuckles and lead pipe that I welded up so it looks like a baton!

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

That makes me wonder, I have the stock alarm and feel protected but who knows anymore. I know when the kids on my block hit my truck with a ball or something the alarm goes off, so I am assuming that the shock is what is setting it off.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
IMO they are not worth the money, if someone wants what you have they WILL stop at nothing to get it nor will anything deter them, I just say dont give them opportunity to see something that you charrish in the dash or front seats.

·
Registered
240 Posts
" What kind of security system are you guys using? "

Glock!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I'm in the same camp with Caddiac & 98 Hotrod. It's Colt or Smith & Wesson for me.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have a Python Remote Start/Security system with 2 remotes and one has the led colored screen with allot of different settings for your truck! I love this alarm system but it was the most exspensise one python had to offer it's complete with everything and even a big horn under hood that mounts and when alarm goes off it has around 5 tones when it's going off and get's louder and will also notify you on your remote screen and make a tone to let you know someone is breaking in this is top of the line even though paid around $800 for the system!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to update: My buddy and I both got a Viper 5901 system installed in our trucks (in April 2011), along with glass break sensors and back-up batteries. I love mine.. finally have remote start! Only problem I've had with it: Last week it started saying "Trunk Open" when I lock my truck. (The same thing started on my buddy's truck too a day or two before mine started doing it.) I'm not sure what's going on with that, but it seems to still be working alright... I'm thinking the shop screwed it up since it's not just my truck, but for now I'll keep looking for ways to shut the "trunk" on my pickup...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts