GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what oil (brand) do you think is best in your burb or yukon xl? I'm looking specifically for a total synthetic. Tell me what you think!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
There are probably better options out there, but we use Mobil One in the Avalanche. When the burb's engine is ready for synth, I'm probably going to go with royal purple.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always heard Mobile 1 was a good choice. Why Royal Purple over Mobile 1?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Well I still have a lot of time to decide. But I hear so many people singing the praises of RP. I like what I've read about it so far. In the end I'll probably see if anyone has done a comparison of Mobil1, and RP, and see how they stack up.
So as of right now, I don't have statistically proven reason for picking RP.
I may decide differently when the time comes to make that decision.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They both run about $6 + per quart don't they. Or have you found a website or store who sells them for less? Thx for the info Traildr.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been using Valvoline syn in mines, and I love it. I posted up a thread about royal purple. I love the valvoline been nothing but a winner to me, felt like some power when I use that. royal purple cost so dag on much, I see advance auto sales it now..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw Royal Purple today @ a Pep Boys for 6.99 per qt. I wounder if there is really that big a difference between one synt. to another?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm running quaker state 5w30, works well

in 1000 miles of total driving (before and after change) it has used only 8 ounces of oil so far

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Since we're on this topic. I have 98000 KM on my TB how do I switch to synthetic or is it recommended to just switch. i.e. will I have any problems switching after using conventional all its life?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've heard and read in different places that if you switch to a synthetic oil after years of running a reg. oil you may run into problems. It seems that a synthetic oil may expose leaks in an older engine that a non-synthetic may have natrually plugged up over the years. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this...?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run Mobil 1 in all my personal and work vehicals. My works trucks get about 175,000 miles on average over the last 11 years.

I just changed the oil in the 07 Tahoe. I used Mobil 0W30 and a Fram oil filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts