GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys post in the intorduction forum but figure this one is better.... OK I Want to get as much HP as possible out of my 86 305 gmc... Dont need to do much body work, when i got it it was pretty much perfect condition.... What should i do to get the most hp possible i have aobut 2000 to spend??

p.s how do i post pics?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
To post pics. 1st upload a picture to photobucket.com ( don't worry it's free) then copy and past the IMG code to your thread.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I think the 87's were the first year of TBI because I have an 87 but I could be wrong.

As far as bolt on parts, you could increase performance with aftermarket camshaft, intake manifold and carb, ingnition, headers and exhaust, gearing (help me guys if I left a few things out). You could get a set of better breathing heads or have yours ported and polished.

Just some ideas to stay within your budget.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I believe that just bolting on 350 heads will give you an increase in power on the 305. It’s been a long time but for some reason I remember someone telling me that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
the 350 head usually come with a bigger combust. chamber,, sometimes. Which might lower your ratio. You probly won't have to port till your past 4.5k rpm's on a 305 head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah its Carburated, Already got headers... btu they were put on like maby 5 year ago... beofee ri got the truck. I need a new exaust as well... Mine is already straight piped but its wearing out. Im really new at this so... is is really my first vehicle that i ahve ever worked on.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You could get a GM crate motor-a performance one made by GM for about the $2000 you have to spend.The 290 hp carb 350 would be my choice.There isn't anything you can do to your stock motor that will beat that bang for the buck.Pace sells it-delivered-for $1975.The GM # is 12499529.
Your stock motor probably was rated at least 100 less.It will feel like a rocket ship with this motor.Bolt ons-intake,exhaust don't add much hp-despite what the aftermarket folks claim.Other "bolt ons" turbo or other supercharger, or NOS sure add HP, but they will break a 22 yo motor.
GM is the only OEM manufacturer that makes true drop in performance motors-cheaply-for their products.Heck, they even give a warranty!Ford and Mopar might make performance crate motors, but you sure can't buy them for $2000!!You might-certainly can-find an aftermarket motor with more claimed hp for the same or less money, but who do you trust to know their engines best?This crate motor also comes with 4 bolt mains,so it can take a bit mot\re power.It also has low compression-8.5/1-so you can probably jack that up if you want.It should get decent mpg also.
Luck,
Charlie
PS-This is a NEW motor-not rebuilt!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts