GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,783 Posts
Howdy all,
I'm considering the purchase of an '04 Tahoe LT. What are the common problems I should be on the look out for besides ordinary used-car type stuff?
A Few of the Common Issues/Problems on the 00" to 07" NBS Tahoe's are....the Front Wheel Hub Bearing go Bad, the Blower Motor Resistor's, and the Stepper Motor's in the Dash Cluster's.....

·
6,019 Posts
As Mentioned, look at the tcase for a pinhole. Google GM tcase pump rub for pics of where the hole developes. Also, look at th front diff and its axle seals for leaks. If it has air ride check out the shocks and the rubber boots on them, those shocks and compressor are extremely expensive to replace.

·
6,019 Posts
Also, check exhaust manifold bolts where they bolt to the head. They are known to break off. While many times they don't result in a leak you may be able to use that as bargaining power

·
6,019 Posts
And i forgot to mention the intermediary steering shaft that might need replacment too, though it's an easy swap.
Good point about the steering shaft. When it is bad it will clunk over bumps and while turning. But you can just use that as a bargaining tool also. I think a new shaft is around $80 but there's no point in trying to replace them as the new one will go bad also. It is cheaper and a more permanent fix to put a $.65 Zerk fitting in the shaft and grease it. Same with bad stepper motors. You can have the entire cluster require with new bulbs and motors for $125 or buy a ss version for around $350

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree about the zerk thing. As far as I know, the OEM shaft is poorly designed from the beginning. Swap it with a new one from doorman then add a zerk.
I've changed mine with a doorman from rockauto. Let's see if it last as long as the OEM one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.