GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I love GM trucks and cars but I was talking to a guy at work and we started naming some bad GM models and bad GM designs. It actually was interesting to try and name some of the, dare I say lame stuff they turned out over history.

I'll start this off with my top pick the "Cadillac Cimarron" this first attempt at an intro Cadillac is kind of like the alder brother to the Catera. Unfortunately it was nothing more than a rebadged Chevy Cavalier. It was kind of an embarrassing effort and was flimsy. In 1982 when it was introduced it had a 1.8 liter engine that barely got out of its own way. The car got a little better by its last year in 1988 but was still a joke in quality and performance, GM should have rethought the car back in 82'.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The Vega was great! Great for dropping a 383 and a powerglide into. My brother had one that we used to raise hell in. Won a lot of money with that 10 second jalopy.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Styling sucks

As far a sucky styling the current Buick Park Avenue is near the top of my list. I just imagine the conversation in the boardroom. Let's go retro. Bring back the gun ports.:eek: My dad drove a 55 Special, that was a Buick.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Throw away car

The Vega was one of those throw away cars like the Pinto! that being said, I never had one but I rode in my share and helped modify a few into 8 & 10 second cars. I think if you were to get the facts on the Vega from GM you would find that it was a very profitable venture. I personally would love to have one in mint condition to give my son to modify. I found one online once, Mint, like 15000 miles on it for like $4000.00. I should have bought it!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm not particually fond of the J2000 its in there with the chysler "K" car.
The 80's had a whole slew of retarded cars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah the Citation was pretty gay...the 80s "Nova" was pretty gay too...some of the Celebrity looking El Caminos looked pretty gay too...haha.

You guys remember the sport models of the Celebrity and the Citation? I cant remember what the name was of the Citation (X something)...and then the Celebrity was like a Eurosport...black w/ red badges and 3.1 liter (i believe)...hehe.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yeah the Citation was pretty gay...the 80s "Nova" was pretty gay too...some of the Celebrity looking El Caminos looked pretty gay too...haha.

You guys remember the sport models of the Celebrity and the Citation? I cant remember what the name was of the Citation (X something)...and then the Celebrity was like a Eurosport...black w/ red badges and 3.1 liter (i believe)...hehe.
Oh my sides hurt (laughing) ya the celebrity eurosport. Your right I do remember, what a puke fest. Now thats friggin' UUU..GGG...LLL....YYY

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
When this thread appeared, my thoughts were on the Citation, Chevette, Vega, and Monza, but remembering back a couple of decades ago and in hischool there a few respectable Vegas and Monzas with V8's in them that went like a bat outta hell! I would love to have a V8 Vega with a knarly Stroker motor in it to take to the strip:biggrin:

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
My mother had a vega. I never knew it to have any trouble. Seemed pretty reliable.
From Wikipedia:
The Vega ultimately would be doomed by with poor reliability and several highly publicized design problems including carburator fires, engine overheating problems, and premature body rust, which began to affect sales after 1974. Labor/management strife at its Lordstown, Ohio production plant added to the car's woes.
Its rival counterpart, the Ford Pinto, was known for fuel tanks which could and did rupture and explode in collisions, where the Vega's own defects were the oil-burning engine and body corrosion. To dispel the Vega's sagging sales and reputation, Chevrolet made many internal improvements to the 140 in³ four-cylinder engine for the 1976 model year, and backed this engine with an unprecedented "5-year, 60,000-mile warranty" at a time when most new cars and their drivelines were backed by one-year, 12,000-mile warranties. By that time, the Vega's sales were sagging further due to new competition from two new small Chevrolet models, including the sportier Vega-derived Monza. The later Chevette was a world design adapted to the US market. It would eventually replace the Vega as Chevy's entry-level import-fighter. The Chevettes also acquired a reputation for low quality. Not until Chevrolet's first front wheel drive domestic compact, the Chevrolet Citation would General Motors finally achieve a long term success in the market category established by the Vega.
In a book later published by John DeLorean who was then president of Chevrolet, he indicated that the prototype car literally fell apart just eight miles into its first road test. DeLorean claimed that the car had been designed by GM engineers rather than Chevrolet engineers and said that the car had been forced upon Chevrolet by GM management. He also criticized the engine saying that it "looked like it had been taken off a 1920 farm tractor."
All these well publicized problems combined with a string of recalls hurt public perception and sales. Forbes Magazine included the Vega on its list of the worst cars of all time. Nevertheless an ad agency director of the GM account at a Canadian ad agency would note that his GM executives were impressed with his leased Kammback wagon, and "the Chevrolet Vega, at least in its latter years, was not the disaster most critics suggested." There are collector clubs for Vegas and derivative Monzas, and Hemmings listed a 1976 Vega wagon offered at $5,900 in 2006.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now this choice of mine is going to stir some mixed emotions but I can't stand the Corvair. Sure it is a collectors item but I have heard so many stories about poor electronics and engines falling out. My uncle had one and he used to joke about how the car came new with a repair manual a can of gas and a match to light the car and repair manual on fire to signal for help on the side of the road.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I wrenched on a turbo monza corvair and it was very impressive from an engineering standpoint. A rear mounted, air cooled turbocharged flat 6cyl that looked more like it belonged in a Porsche than anything with a Chevy badge on it. Many Corvair engines have been pressed into service as aircraft engines and powerplants for many kit cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually like the A and X body cars. Lots of parts interchangeability between all 17 years of production (1980-1985 for the X, 1982-1996 for the A). Also very easy to swap in a Cadillac FWD V8, a 3800SC V6, or any number of GM engines. The 1989 Celebrity I have now, which has a blown 4-cylinder, will probably end up with a Buick V6 (3.3 or 3.8) unless I can find a Cadillac donor car. Where else can you get a 4-door, 6-passenger, 4-cylinder sedan, but in an A-body? The 4-cylinder Tauruses are few and far between, as are 4-cylinder Dynastys.

·
Registered
142 Posts
the cavelier

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The Chevette was bad enough. Than my mom got one with A/C. You had to turn off the A/C whenever you went up a hill because of the lack of power.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts