GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 87 Suburban leaks badly from the crankshaft seal when running. When it is parked and the oil is in the pan its okay. I really dont want to spend a lot (Paid $1500 for her, and she is fine otherwise.)
I was wondering if there is anything out there on the market that is able to stop a really good leak. It leaks about a quart every 100 miles around town.

Also- yesterday it started like it always does, but after running a short errand, it wouldnt crank in the parking lot. I waited 15 minutes checking fuses in the bitter cold, then it started normally. Later the process repeated at home.

Any thoughts?? The battery is good.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Re: What will stop bad oil leak besides new gaskets?

I can't think of anything other than the main seal that would stop that leak.

invisible1 said:
(Paid $1500 for her, and she is fine otherwise.)
Be good to her, and get the seal done, and she'll be good to you.

Sounds like you might need a new starter. There have been some threads on here about maintenance to the starter, not sure if that would help or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
going to try "Mr.Sticky's Vibra bond"

I have done some research and I am going to try this...I saw them on TV (the History channel snow Modern Marvels.) They were working with a similar product made by the same company- an underwater adhesive that SETS underwater. The Vibra Bond product that I purchased is slightly different in that it can bond better in metal to metal applications. Its like a flexible WELD that I can try for $12. From the website:
Mr. Sticky’s Vibra-Bond is a flexible, toughened, non-corrosive, structural adhesive specially designed for various
applications and substrates, including bonding of plastics, metals, rubber, ceramics and cement. It has been
formulated for superior exterior performance, gap filling, impact and fatigue resistance. It’s toughness, imparted by
flexibility, causes the energy required to break a bond to be significantly higher than brittle epoxies. Excellent bond
resistance to vibration, shrinkage/expansion, bending and shock.
seehttp://www.a-a-i.net/products.htm

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RE: going to try "Mr.Sticky

I used a JB weld in the past for a temp fix on a cracked head in a 4-cyl CJ5 that I had years ago. But, I only expected it to be a temp fix and it was and I rebuilt the engine after that.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts

For the amount of work it will take to do a temp, fix like you are talking about I would rather spend the couple of extra hours and replace the seal, but thats me.

·
Registered
52 Posts

yup same here. imo just fix the problem and be done with it.
ohh and check cc amps on the battery, it its too cold outside it might not have enough to crank the eng.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.