GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 2000 silverado 1500 4.8 auto 4wd from my best friend with 8400 miles on it.its oil has been changed a few times.also had three batteries.it was for free so far its cost me only a few hundred foer light upgrades trailer hitch and step also new stereo.what kind of maintenance would you guys be looking to do on it. 0319111033_0001_0001[1] - Copy.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
8400 miles? or 84,000 MIles???

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no bud you saw it right 8400! miles .my friend bought it new in pa. the dealer put on commercial plates .when he came back to the bronx where we live he could not be botherd to put reg plates on it.so in the bronx commercial plates are a pain in the butt. restrictions every where. he drove it to go hunting and a few times to home depot.thats it it just sat there.then his wife got real sick long bout with cancer. and he had a bad accident constuction lost half his foot.so for the past four years it just sat.in his yard. his settlement just came .he bought a 2011 1500 crew cab .i gat a call around thankgiving he asked if i wanted it i said if its for free its for me.so here it is.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would engage the 4wd to make sure that it is working properly.

-JJ

·
4,781 Posts
i got a 2000 silverado 1500 4.8 auto 4wd from my best friend with 8400 miles on it.its oil has been changed a few times.also had three batteries.it was for free so far its cost me only a few hundred foer light upgrades trailer hitch and step also new stereo.what kind of maintenance would you guys be looking to do on it. View attachment 26827
Being that the Truck is....11 yrs Old.....I would look at doing the Following, if it has not been done already,
.....Flush All Fluids.....Oil...Trans....Coolant....Brake...Rear Diff....Steering,
.....New Filter's......Air....Fuel...Oil...Trans
.....Check All Belts and Hoses and.....Replace if needed.

Also if the Tires are the original ones that came with truck when New.....Again being....11 yrs old.....check for cracking on the sidewalls and in between the tread....even if they don't show any signs cracking.....I would still look at Getting New Tires.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
X2 what Mike said. Even though its only got 8,400 miles it has time, eleven years. Parts deteriate. I would change all the hose's, belts, tires. I would use a protectant on all the rubber around the windows and doors, I'm sure there dry. Don't forget the transfer case fluid.

·
Registered
527 Posts
How does it run?? Cap rotor plugs???

·
4,781 Posts
x2.....on what Blacksheep has mentioned about the Plugs, As the Truck has a.....4.8 Liter V-8 it has no Distributor,instead individual Coils one per Spark Plug,

the Plugs to go with are the.....A/C Delco Iridium Tip Plugs......as the Vortec Engines Run & Perform Better went A/C Delco plugs are installed.......if you do go with the A/C Plugs, they are gaped right out of the Box.....check the gap to be Sure, But Do Not attempt to Re-gap them as the Iridium tip can Be Easily Damaged.....
and for plug wires again A/C Delco will do the job.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I forgot, grease all the suspension fittings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4wd works good /manuel lever on floor .also runs 100% no misses hoses belts look good changed air filter doing gas and trany next .one front tire had a slit in side wall took original spare on grey rim had it mounted and balanced put on chrome rim . have seen a few greese fittings wiil crawl under soon give it a good going over .the brakes were done at 6000 miles new rotors and pads the original were rusted bad . new wipers .door rubber good was going to take off door panels and grease window gears /regulator manual windows wd40 all latches key hole hinges..pcv valve wiil change .also new brake hose in rear was done just before i got it old one got dry rot and popped

·
4,781 Posts
4wd works good /manuel lever on floor .also runs 100% no misses hoses belts look good changed air filter doing gas and trany next .one front tire had a slit in side wall took original spare on grey rim had it mounted and balanced put on chrome rim . have seen a few greese fittings wiil crawl under soon give it a good going over .the brakes were done at 6000 miles new rotors and pads the original were rusted bad . new wipers .door rubber good was going to take off door panels and grease window gears /regulator manual windows wd40 all latches key hole hinges..pcv valve wiil change .also new brake hose in rear was done just before i got it old one got dry rot and popped
......Below are pictures of where all the Zerk fittings are located,
On the....GMT-800 (99"-06") Trucks....
there are 11 grease fittings, or zerks, that needs to be lubed. I top mine off every 5000 miles or for the conventional oil users, every time you do an oil change, and they usually only need a pump or two.

Before doing the chassis lube, pump a little grease out of the gun to clean out any dirt that may have gotten into it. Also clean off any dirt/grease on each zerk before attaching the grease gun fitting, so you don't pump crud into the joints. Pump enough grease into them until the boot is firm to the touch. Be careful not the pump too much in them and possibly bust the boot.

1 - Drivers side, Upper ball joint
2 - Drivers side, Outer tie-rod end
3 - Drivers side, Lower ball joint

4 - Drivers side, Inner tie-rod end
5 - Drivers side, Pitman arm (at relay rod)

6 - Passengers side, Idler arm (at relay rod)
7 - Passengers side, Upper end of idler arm mount

Close up view of the 90 degree, 6mm, zerk that was replaced on the end of the idler arm, where it connects to the relay rod. With the factory straight zerk, it's next to impossible to get a grease gun fitting on it because of the AC compressor/mount that is above it. If you turn your wheels to the left side you can access the straight zerk.

6 - Passengers side, Idler arm (at relay rod) (Different view. Same as #6 above)
8 - Passengers side, Inner tie-rod end

9 - Passengers side, Lower ball joint
10 - Passengers side, Outer tie-rod end
11 - Passengers side, Upper ball joint

·
Registered
155 Posts
Get an owners manual for the truck, and follow what it says, you can pick one up at your local Auto parts store for like $25, best tool you can have for your truck, tells you everything you could ever want to know about maintaining your truck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
finally got a chance to grease it today im on crutches for about 8 weeks now .so i figured if i give it a grease job im not standing im laying down .the truck is 11 years old my friend must of had his mechanic grease it once .but he missed the idler arm and its mount on the pass side.you could tell the were as clean as the day it was made. i now have 9000 miles on it so i dont think no harm was done even though its a 2000.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Looks more and more like you scored a great ride!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im putting on a billit grill tommorow and picked up some led drl bulbs cheap and nice mud flaps walked into local auto parts stor they had a special clearence sale got all kinds of good stuff also removeable anchors for 2.00 each .these things go fo 15,99 normally.also got a tail gate lock and key and a tailgate theft lock so they will have a hard time stealing my tail gate.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Post up some pics when done.... And keep off that leg!!!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im enjoying my foot while i still have it my doctor said i might be looking at a amputation if they cant clear up my infection .so any chance i get to use it right now is a beautiful thing.im not abusing it just enjoying it.hey let me tell you something when you look at other peoples problems mine dont seem so bad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts