GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Can anyone help me identify the year and model this is from. I have a swapped engine in my vehicle. It is a Chevy v8 tbi from somewhere between 95 and 2000 i believe. This is the coolant temperature switch off of the block. I want to replace it but cannot find the right replacement. Please help me out.

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
I can't help you with the year; but I see Teflon tape on the threads, the single wire sensors need ground to complete the circuit, and these sensors are grounded at the threads, the tape will insulate this ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my first time removing it... So it is old tape from whoever installed it. So, just clean it up and leave the tape off of it?

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
I assume it isn't working, that's why you want to change it.
You can test it with an ohm meter, I see there is a resistance value of 27k on the side of it.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,232 Posts
That’s from earlier than 1994. If I recall correctly, ‘93.

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
That’s from earlier than 1994. If I recall correctly, ‘93.
Yep. Virtually any Chevy truck with a 305 or 350 from the late 70s to somewhere around 93 used this sensor to drive the temperature gauge in the dash. A 2-pin model was used in the intake to drive the TBI computer's temp signal.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Holy belinda, that thing looks like it came off the Titanic....
anyways, a coulpe of notes.
Looks like there is a (part?) number on it. Your GM parts guru would be interesed in that.
The temperature switches, and thermisters all look the same for the Turbofire V8s. Your granny's 72 307 Nova had a same looking switch.
What is the year of the engine it came out of, (amusing its an original part), what is the casting date code on the block flange? for reference.
Whats the ohmeter read?

As for teflon tape....
If there is so much tape on it to cause an open circuit, you got too much (######) tape on it. The tape is suppoed to just seal up the gaps, and the threads should be biting metal to metal. But @RayVoy brings up a good point, I have seen such things....
A lot of guys do not like teflon tape,
However if it were my truck,
Id clean the theads up (so they were mint) and use just one layer, about a wrap and a half of teflon tape and be (very) careful so as to not to get any tape into the water jacket. Many will tell you to use a thread sealant just for this reason, and its a (####) good reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Holy belinda, that thing looks like it came off the Titanic....
anyways, a coulpe of notes.
Looks like there is a (part?) number on it. Your GM parts guru would be interesed in that.
The temperature switches, and thermisters all look the same for the Turbofire V8s. Your granny's 72 307 Nova had a same looking switch.
What is the year of the engine it came out of, (amusing its an original part), what is the casting date code on the block flange? for reference.
Whats the ohmeter read?

As for teflon tape....
If there is so much tape on it to cause an open circuit, you got too much (######) tape on it. The tape is suppoed to just seal up the gaps, and the threads should be biting metal to metal. But @RayVoy brings up a good point, I have seen such things....
A lot of guys do not like teflon tape,
However if it were my truck,
Id clean the theads up (so they were mint) and use just one layer, about a wrap and a half of teflon tape and be (very) careful so as to not to get any tape into the water jacket. Many will tell you to use a thread sealant just for this reason, and its a (####) good reason.

That looks to be threaded into the head, not the block.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,232 Posts
It is in the head.

·
Registered
784 Posts
That looks to be threaded into the head, not the block.
I was assuming it was a complete original engine. This was to get an idea of the DOM, and place the year. In addition there are date codes cast into the head, however you need to take the valve cover off the see.
YMMV, this will be valid if orignal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The temp sensor on my 94 burb has two leads and a M/F plastic connection. I suspect yours is a bit earlier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts