GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best fuel injector cleaner you used? I picked up some of my old favorite, duralube fuel injector cleaner for $4.50 usually cost about $11 a can. Haven't seen it at the auto shops in years.

I also like BG 44k that's a pretty good product too. just dropped a can in mines last nigth, duralube. I felt the difference soon after I dropped it in, and loved how it last for like 3 months
That bg cost like $20 a can bought some at the dealer once. But those are my two favorites.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I've heard mixed results, some people just say to get good gas with the good additives and you don't have to worry about the cleaner.

Walmart runs gas stations now, they let you put this stuff into the tank for an extra charge.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I dunno, it's not much money and the payoff seems to be good. I just go buy whatever's on sale at AutoZone and put it in like every 3 months or whaterver.

·
Registered
22 Posts
cleaner

Lucas products makes a good fuel system addative. You just have to be sure that your gas tank is all the way full when you use it. It burns really hot and I could feel a difference. It cost about $4 a bottle and treats 25 gallons.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See when you put gas in even though it has detergents and additives it still
burns soon as its fired up in the system. and still clogs injectors.. some have to many detergents and can evenutuly mess up stuff in the long run..

So that's why its good to put something in there to clean the entire fuel system.
I think that dag on lucus stuff made my egr valve mess up on my legend.
I think the more you spend the better the product, something like $2 is good. but something that cost $10 is a whole lot better and longer lasting.
check out bg products http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
very true

At the dealer thats all we used was BG products. They made all of the cleaners for our oil and transmission flushing machine. We also used a kit from 3M that you hooked to your fuel line and ran your engine off of. Im not sure if its available to the public but that was some good stuff. I used it on cars that barely ran when they came in and after using that they went out the door running like brand new. I will check to see if it is available. Its a little expensive but definately worth it.

P.S. I have been using the Lucas stuff for years now and never had any problems with it.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
No one else has used the add at the pump stuff? I think it's Murphy USA gas that lets you do that. They're pushing it big time, but I don't like the fact that they broadcast and blare to everyone that you just bought it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Injector Cleaner

I have a fuel rail connector and plug it in to a can of 3M injector cleaner (the low presure can).

You then un-plug the electric fuel pump and the fuel presure regulator. Turn on the can of cleanrer and start the engine.

The engine will run for about ten to twelve minutes running off the can of cleaner.

Used it on my Grand National for years and it actuall cleans as the cleaner is going right through the injectors.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Useful information

Here is a great article on gasoline, additives and such: aa1car
An excerpt:
KEEPING FUEL INJECTORS AND COMBUSTION CHAMBERS CLEAN
The formation of harmful deposits can be controlled by adding detergent-dispersants to gasoline, the most common of which is polybutene succinimide. Used with a petroleum carrier oil, detergent-dispersants help keep the intake manifold and ports clean. These chemicals are more effective than the carburetor detergents that were once used in gasoline, but they must be used at concentrations that are three to five times higher than the older carburetor detergents.
Deposit control additives such as polybutene amine (PBA) were introduced in 1970 to help keep injectors and intake valves clean. The only drawback with PBA is that too much of it can increase combustion chamber deposits. Polyether amine (PEA), by comparison, cleans fuel injectors and valves, and does not increase combustion chamber deposits. In fact, it helps remove accumulated deposits inside the combustion chamber to reduce the risk of spark knock.
In 1995, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency set minimum standards for additives in gasoline to prevent the formation of deposits in fuel injectors. Gasoline refiners had to certify their additive packages met these standards, but some experts now say the original standards were set too low and do not provide adequate protection with some fuels and engines. The minimum EPA required level is referred to as the "Lowest Additive Concentration" (LAC), and is typically found in the cheapest priced gasoline.
TOP TIER GASOLINE
At the other end of the fuel quality spectrum are "Top Tier" gasolines. These fuels are recognized by the vehicle manufacturers as having the most effective additives and in the highest concentrations. Gasoline retailers must meet the high Top Tier standards with all their grades of gasoline (not just premium) to be designed as a Top Tier supplier. In addition, all the gasoline outlets carrying the brand of approved gasoline must also meet the same standards. Gasoline retailers who are currently on the Top Tier list include Chevron, Chevron-Canada (B.C. only), Texaco (Chevron supplied only), Conoco, Entec Stations, Kwik Trip/Kwik Star, MFA Oil COmpany, Phillips, QuikTrip, Shell, The Somerset Refinery and 76.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
PEA Polyether Amine (aka Techron)

Here are some conclusions from an SAE paper on PEA fuel additives. Polyester Amine as an additive and fuel treatment are offered by Chevron under the trademark Techron. You can see the paper here: Oklahoma DCS (pdf file) Test engines and a test fleet were used to evaluate PEA additives and they performed well in reducing intake and combustion chamber deposits. I'm definitely going to start using Chevron gas in my work truck, and their fuel treatment in my other cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is GM's take on Injector cleaning

Document ID# 1747645
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Info - Maintenance Cleaning of Fuel Injectors #04-06-04-051B - (01/04/2006)

Models: 2006 and Prior All General Motors Passenger Cars and Trucks

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

2006 HUMMER H3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add models and model years and update the name and part number of GM Fuel System Treatment. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-051A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

General Motors is aware that some companies are marketing tools, equipment and programs to support fuel injector cleaning as a preventative maintenance procedure. General Motors does not endorse, support or acknowledge the need for fuel injector cleaning as a preventative maintenance procedure. Fuel injector cleaning is approved only when performed as directed by a published GM driveability or DTC diagnostic service procedure.

Due to variation in fuel quality in different areas of the country, the only preventative maintenance currently endorsed by GM regarding its gasoline engine fuel systems is the addition of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco®, use P/N 88861013) (in Canada, P/N 88861012), added to a tank of fuel at each oil change. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-04-030A for proper cleaning instructions.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1747645
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Old thread I know...however I use seafoam on my vehicles and love the stuff. My kids the love the smoke show, and so does the neighborhood. :) It helped our car a lot, and will be used in our new/used suburban this weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use seafoam in all my cars every 10-15k miles, seems to work well.

However, BG44k is by far my favorite cleaner. I also use BG MOA in my oil. I run BG44k in all my vehicles every 3 k miles, and BG MOA every few oil changes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The dealer want 200.00 bucks to clean my fuel system using bg44k i have used sea foam before it say you should wait till your almost empty its a 36 gallon tank i dont know if im gonna add 2 cans of seafoam or 2 cans bg44k

1 - 18 of 18 Posts