GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best set of tires that you've ever had? Do you always buy the same brand or do you go with what's cheap ... or expensive ... or the latest thing?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
The best set of tires I have ever owned are BF Goodrich All-terrain T/A's. I have had 2 sets of All-terrain, and currently running a set of BFG mud terrains on my 87 Blazer and averaged 40-45K miles per set. All sets were 35 inch tall tires.

·
1,457 Posts
The best tires I ever hade on a vehicle, also BF Goodrich All-terrain
:great:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I've always been a big fan of Michelin XTM's

Best set, I've owned are Kumho AT's. Excellent in snow, and rain, and nice and quiet. Unlike the Wrangler's that came on the burb.
But I seen a set of AT's on another work van and I was impressed with the tread pattern. I asked co-worker today how he like them. He said they were the bomb too. Funny you should mention these tires.

·
1,536 Posts
Interesting question. I find it kind of hard to select a single "best" tire. 1) I don't wear tires out fast enough to be able to try them all out and 2) "Best" at what?

My BII came with Good Year Wrangler AT's (old style Good Year has since completely redesigned the tire). Wore well, but weren't very good in snow.

When I replaced the Wranglers, I got an off brand made by Yokohama. Traction was better initially, but they seem to be getting slicker in the rain as they age. They also seem to be wearing a little faster than expected.

Explorer came with an off brand made by Cooper. Infinitely better than the Good Year Wranglers in the snow, lasted to 60+K miles (40K mile rating) of which a good portion the thing wasn't aligned right. In my limited experience, I would call this my "best overall" tire.

When I replaced those tires, I got a set of Dunlop Mud Rovers. Better traction than the all purpose tires that were on there before, but quite a bit louder (not that I care that much how loud they are). I also don't hold out much hope that they will wear near as long as the others. But I bought them for the traction and because they are cheaper than other MT's. These would be my "best" off-road tire I've had.

My Suburban came with Big-O AT's (made by Good Year). They seem to do just fine in the snow. Can't comment on wear, because I don't have any idea how many miles they had on them when I bought the thing. But, after 10k miles I've put on them, they seem to wear pretty good.

That's my limited truck tire experience. Really haven't had a tire that I "hated."

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I had goodyear wrangler Rt/S which I couldn't stand. After those I got a set of Cooper Discoverer ST's. These tires were the best in the snow, made it through a whole winter in a 2 wheel drive non-posi truck. They got destroyed over the summer and I needed a new set for this year. This is understandable, snow tires don't run well in the summer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Best / Toughest tires

Had great experience with BFG All Terrains, ProComp All Terrains and a few other off brands. Pep Boy's Futura's did very well also when I ran their 33x12.50's. All those were on 3/4 ton Suburbans, but probably the toughest tire from my personal experience, Super Swamper TSL/SX's. Very good for extreme hard core 4 wheeling. Ran'em on my 'ol full size '78 Bronco for years, have'em on our Lil Samurai now. Their great for off road but not my fav for street use.

·
Registered
664 Posts
my best set of tires are round ones (HA HA HA )

seriously, I have a pair of kumho powerguard AT's on the rear of my burb
and a pair of liberator AT's on the front

·
Registered
140 Posts
M/T Drag Slicks that was on my 5.0.... wasnt good in rain or snow. but on a dry drag track they gripped...lol but anyway on the suburban i have indy 500 60 wides on the rear and standard indy 500 tires on the front

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
To Toyo or not to Toyo?

For the Plymouth Caravan, I buy the cheapest. For the Suburban it has Goodyear AT/S's on it that were on the burb when I bought it two years ago. My work truck has BFG AT KO's and they have been a great tire. (I don't get to pick which tires go on the Silverado) I will probably put more Goodyear AT's on the front of the burb as they took a beating when I drove back after a tie rod failure offroading. I probably would go with BFG's if I were replacing all 4. I have been hearing good things from other offroaders about the Toyo Open Country MT's, so they are definitely on the list.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well i had a set on my 2002 Z71 Tahoe that came stock and i do believe they were a failure! A winch would have been a better option. Afterwards i put on a set of BF Goodrich all terrains and never had much of a problem. They rode smoother, quieter, and look better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pro Comp

pro comp mud terrains hands down have been the best tires ive ran on my truck ive almost wore my 2nd set out and if i dont go w/ the regular MTs again i may try their new XMTs to see how they perform but in every trail ive been in from big mud bogs to hill climbs the pro comps havent let me down yet! deffinatly winners in my book!:great:

·
Registered
270 Posts
well my best tires ive ever had has to be the michalin cross terrain . ive had them on 2 trucks so far and loved them got great miles out of them and never got me suck in mud, sugar sand and handled great in rainy weather.just too bad they dont come in 33s because thats what im looking to put on my truck next.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've tried qutie a few different summer, all-season, and A/T tires over the years on various vehicles. I'm always experimenting to see what works best, but normally stick with the ones that have the best rep from my friends who work in the tire industry.

Summer Tire - BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2 or Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (If you can afford 'em). :)

All Terrain - BFG A/Ts

All-Season - Michelin LTX M/S

·
Registered
94 Posts
31" BF Goodrich All-terrain T/A's. I had 2 sets for my 2000 S-10 ZR2. I never had trouble getting anywhere...even if the mud was coming over the hood!:great:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Goodyear MTR's. Hands down. Incredible in snow, amazing off road in sand, mud and dirt, and great on road and in the rain too.. Ive had BFG AT also and they are a good tire also but nothing compared to the MTR

1 - 20 of 59 Posts