GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2005 Silverado 1500 4wd with 17 inch rims. They are OEM rims with OEM center caps. Problem is the plastic lugs that hold the center caps on won't go over the main lug nuts. They worked until three years ago when I had new tires put on. Bought new plastic lugs and still won't grab the threads on the main lugs. Have had several people who are experienced look at the issue. One says my chrome covered rims have expanded where the chrome is plated over the steel rim. Another says it's the main lug threads. Tried one new lug but no change. Everything is OEM so cannot figure it out. Worked for 14 years. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,922 Posts
I bet the thread pitch/count on the lug nuts is different from OEM, even if the internal threads are right.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,922 Posts
Who put the tires on? Did you physically see the lug nuts through the entire process?

Not trying to be argumentative. Just looking at options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who put the tires on? Did you physically see the lug nuts through the entire process?

Not trying to be argumentative. Just looking at options.
No worries, I appreciate your time and input.
It was done at BJ's tires. I didn't watch them when they did it so I guess they could have replaced all 24 lug nuts but they didn't look new then or now. That is what is so perplexing about this.

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Have a 2005 Silverado 1500 4wd with 17 inch rims. They are OEM rims with OEM center caps. Problem is the plastic lugs that hold the center caps on won't go over the main lug nuts. They worked until three years ago when I had new tires put on. Bought new plastic lugs and still won't grab the threads on the main lugs. Have had several people who are experienced look at the issue. One says my chrome covered rims have expanded where the chrome is plated over the steel rim. Another says it's the main lug threads. Tried one new lug but no change. Everything is OEM so cannot figure it out. Worked for 14 years. Any ideas?
you have to take the pictures of the old lug nuts and the new lug nuts and the center cap

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
4,205 Posts
Do your lug nuts look like this, Stumpy?

Font Terrestrial plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire Cylinder

Reactions: j cat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cowboytrukr.
Yes they do. The plastic ones that go through the cap are new. Compared them in length and thread depth to the originals ( which I still have) and they are the same. Even tried putting the originals back into one of the caps but still same problem. Only suggestion I got from a repair shop I use when the problem requires more specialized tools than I have is the rims have expanded where the chrome overlay is attached to the steel rim itself causing the caps not to go as far back as they used to. Looking at them it doesn't seem to have done that but the steel is rusty. No way I can see to fix that other than new ones. Expensive at over 350 pr.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
4,205 Posts
Wow. I’m sorry. I don’t have experience with those wheels. My neighbor had a truck with them. Never understood the logic of an overlaid “hubcap”.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts