GM Truck Club Forum banner

Where do the mirror wires go?

1K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  AZgl1800 
#1 ·
Somebody stole my 2006 2500 HD. When I got it back I discovered five wires coming out of the back of the rearview mirror the other end it been yanked out of something. Where did these wires go? I’m not talking about the 15 pin harness that plugs into the back. This is different. It’s five wires with a black sheath on it.

#10 ·
I think I figured it out. Found one on ebay with the same part number from a hummer. Yes, that set of wires goes into a plastic cover that clips over the mounting base. Inside that cover is

a circuit board. When the thief took the truck, he must have removed that entire cover and ripped it away from the wires. I found one on ebay with the same part number for $70. Think I am going to buy it.
Sports equipment Peripheral Microphone Input device Audio equipment

#13 ·
That looks like the place the cable goes, don't know what the circuit board would be for.

I agree the sensor that Jacob circled is a photoelectric sensor; but it's on the wrong side for auto mirror dimming, that sensor needs to face rearward so the headlights behind the truck can hit it.
A forward facing sensor could be for auto headlight dimming.

#14 ·
I wonder if the mirror auto dims at night? This is the one I just bought on eBay. It has the same part number as mine (15071186), so I hope it works.
Automotive tire Auto part Composite material Personal protective equipment Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Auto part
This is the first picture I found that shows the circuit board inside the mount. Since I have never seen wires coming out of the mount, I am assuming that the circuit board does some kind of processing for a mirror function. The only thing going back to the truck is the 16 pin plug which runs up under the headliner.
Automotive tire Auto part Composite material Personal protective equipment Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

#17 ·
Wow, you did well to find that.

I couldn't find a description for your mirror; but other mirrors that had temp display and compass, their description says they have an auto day/night sensor.
And when you think about it, the digital display would have to be brighter in the day time than at night.
So the forward facing sensor is a day/night sensor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.