GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty rhetorical question but I had to have a title. I want to upgrade the suspesion and running gear on my 91 1500 4wd, Is it easier or even worth getting and rebuilding 2500 axels ? Or just upgrading componets on the stock ones . I dont do a lot of heavy towing and hauling but I hate getting caught short when I have to . Any advice or ideas appreciated. Thnx

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Even if you don't lift it or anything its probably not a bad idea. Shocks, springs, bearings, u-joints, seals, fluids. It can only make it better.

Myself I love doing this stuff. Even wiring inspection back near bumper gets frayed and nasty looking. Spare tire mount and condition of spare itself. Little bit of that rubberized undercoating on frame in strategic locations cleans her up nice too.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yours is probably a 10 bolt rear end. They were always pretty good for me. I'm not so sure it would be worth the effort to change, I would take rear end cover off and inspect gears and axel splines for wear. New gasket and fresh fluid (Yummy! love the smell of old gear oil, makes me wanna friggin' vomit)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts