GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Suburban almost left me stranded for the first time on Monday. I stopped on my way home to pick up a few things at the 7-11. When I got ready to leave, it wouldn't start. The voltage showed fine, but when I turned the key, only a single click from the starter. The first thing that came to mind was the started had died, but I started with the easy stuff first. I checked the battery connections and the positive side was loose. When I tried to tighten it, I found out it was stripped and would not tighten down. I got it as tight as it would go and after about an hour of trying, it decided to crank. I drove straight home with no more stops. When I got home, I robbed a battery cable bolt from my Firebird. It tightened right up and I haven't had a problem since. I was late getting home, but at least I didn't have to walk. :wink:

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I've had that happen before. on an old 1962 GMC 3/4 tonb truck.

They don't need much power to keep running, just a lot to get started.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Battery terminals can be a bear!

Not trying to start nothing but next time go back into the 7-11 and go to the auto section and they sell new terminals for a couple of bucks.
My wife had one crack and was stranded thats how I found out they have them.

Now I have 5 in each car just in case I know sounds like overkill but if I bust 2 of them I still have 2 more to use or if someone else might need one.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did go back into 7-11 to look for a new bolt, but the only automotive stuff they had was oil and jumper cables. The part of town I was in is known for people NOT working on their cars (pay someone else to do it), so I was not surprised. The closest auto parts store was over 4 miles away.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Yikes, I moved 5 miles north today. I need to re-orient myself to where the nearest auto parts stores is!

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
GaryL said:
I did go back into 7-11 to look for a new bolt, but the only automotive stuff they had was oil and jumper cables. The part of town I was in is known for people NOT working on their cars (pay someone else to do it), so I was not surprised. The closest auto parts store was over 4 miles away.
Sorry dude thats the pits! I have been living in the country too long LOL!

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Yeah, if you were up around The Colony, TX, your 7-11 sells more posh stuff than oil and battery terminals. :)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 7-11 I was at was in northwest Plano if that tell you anything. :wink:

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
ok. We'll, I've been down here in Mansfield and South Arlington for 2 years, so it's about the same down here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts