GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I purchased the biggest baddest fan clutch that AutoZone had, as I changed out my water pump today,(after 9 years) and I always heard that when you change out the water pump, it was a good idea to change out the fan clutch at the same time. When I went to put on the new fan clutch onto the fan blade assembly, the flange that attached to the water pump studs wouldn't fit into the hole in the fan blade assembly. I tried as I could, but no dice.
I promptly took it back to auto zone, and started calling around various auto parts houses inquiring about their fan clutch. I was told that some of them run clock wise and some of them run counter clock wise - how is the consumer supposed to know which one to purchase? I have no evidence that anything is wrong with my old fan clutch, but I don't want to tear into this again for some time, and would just as soon replace it with something that hopefully will last another 9 years.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a reliable fan clutch for the 1990 GMC Suburban with a 5.7L 350 engine?

Thanks so much in advance!

·
1,457 Posts
If the engine runs clock wise then the clutch must be counter clock wise
and visa versa.:rules:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
There is a great article about fan clutch replacement at popularmechanics.com There are a few cheapie fan clutches out there still. Skip the viscous only FC's and go for the thermostatic controlled models. I bought a new FC from AutoZone for my burb and had no problems with the installation. The tolerance's of the water pump shaft to the FC hub are very close so any burring of the surfaces will make it impossible to bolt the FC to the waterpump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for that great article! I ended up putting back the fan clutch that I have been using for the last 9 years. I still don't know for sure whether or not the blades spins normally or reverse, thus I still don't know which type fan clutch to purchase. I almost bought a cheap one from Auto Zone, but I would still like to understand the clockwise/counterclockwise situation, i.e. which fan clutch to purchase for the 5.7L 350 gasoline engine, the reverse one or non-reverse fan clutch?
I called the dealer, and he wants $181.00 for a fan clutch, and that is out of the question. The only reason that I was swapping it out was because I changed out the water pump.
Thanks again for your help, and if anyone knows for sure whether or not the 5.7L 350 engine uses a normal running or reverse running fan clutch, I would sure like to know!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks so much for that great article! I ended up putting back the fan clutch that I have been using for the last 9 years. I still don't know for sure whether or not the blades spins normally or reverse, thus I still don't know which type fan clutch to purchase. I almost bought a cheap one from Auto Zone, but I would still like to understand the clockwise/counterclockwise situation, i.e. which fan clutch to purchase for the 5.7L 350 gasoline engine, the reverse one or non-reverse fan clutch?
I called the dealer, and he wants $181.00 for a fan clutch, and that is out of the question. The only reason that I was swapping it out was because I changed out the water pump.
Thanks again for your help, and if anyone knows for sure whether or not the 5.7L 350 engine uses a normal running or reverse running fan clutch, I would sure like to know!
There was a thread about this topic awhile back but I cant seem to find it.

Let me look on my pc I used to have the books from the manufacture with the list of the clutch fans.

Several different brands are actually the same company since they merged or bought each other out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
AC........................AIR CONDITIONING
HD.......................HEAVY DUTY
REV ROTATION........COUNTER CLOCKWISE ROTATION FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE
SD........................SEVERE DUTY
STD DUTY..............STANDARD DUTY
STD ROTATION........CLOCKWISE ROTATION FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE
ENGINE FAN CLUTCH
HEAVY SEVERE NON- CLUTCH
YEAR TYPE SIZE L ITERS ROTATION A PPLICATION THERMAL DUTY DUTY THERMAL FAN

95-88 V8 350 5.7 REV W/3.73 OR NUMERICALLY HIGHER REAR AXLE RATIO – 2 734 278 4 – –

95-88 V8 350 5.7 REV W/AC & 3.42 OR NUMERICALLY LOWER REAR – 2734 2 784 – –
95-88 V8 350 5.7 REV W/O AC, W/3.08, 3.42 REAR AXLE RATIO 2 724 – – – –

Hayden and Imperial are the same now
http://www.haydenauto.com/index.htm

Hayden is usually cheaper in price and the store brand for Advance auto is a reboxed imperial they charge more for.

Here is the heavy duty one for your vehicle
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=HAD&MfrPartNumber=2784

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is a replacemnet fan clutch in all of our futures ? My dad just had to replace his in his 2003 TB, and I have read that this is a common problem. Is this another one of those should have been recalls ??? Anyone else had this issue ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts