GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do for a living and are you happy doing it?

Even the most content workers will occasionally have a bad day that causes them to grumble about the rat race.

But it turns out some of us are a lot more satisfied than others when we head to the office.

A new survey shows there's one profession above all others that rates highest on the list of happiest employees - and it's more a calling than an occupation.

An annual University of Chicago study shows clergy are the people who most look forward to going to work in the morning. A full 87 percent admit they're happy with their jobs, followed by firefighters and physical therapists.

And there were some surprises on the list of the more than 27,800 people queried.

Teachers, who have sometimes earned the reputation of being disgruntled, ranked high on the happiness rating. So did office supervisors, who have to put up with a lot of their employees' own problems and complaints.

Most of the positions at the summit of the Top 10 had one thing in common - they were generally tasks where the job involved helping others.

"The most satisfying jobs are mostly professions, especially those involving caring for, teaching, and protecting others and creative pursuits," explains spokesman Tom W. Smith.

But if so many are so happy who's the most miserable?

It shouldn't startle you to discover it's the people who earn the least and have jobs that require them to be at the beck and call of others.

Waiters not only have to follow orders, they're forced to take them, as well. Gas station attendants don't pump out much enthusiasm either.

That doesn't surprise the researchers.

"The least satisfying dozen jobs are mostly low-skill, manual and service occupations," observes Smith. "Especially involving customer service and food/beverage preparation and serving."

There was at least one big surprise on the list, and it involves two professions you might think would make their practitioners happy.

But neither doctors nor lawyers turned up in the top 10, despite the fact they earn a lot of money, they help a lot of people and they're often their own bosses.

One other job missing from the poll: survey takers.

They may be too busy asking others for their opinions to bother noting if they like what they're doing.

Top 10 most satisfying jobs:

Clergy: 87%
Firefighters: 80%
Physical therapists: 78%
Authors: 74%
Special education teachers: 70%
Teachers: 69%
Education administrators: 68%
Painters and sculptors: 67%
Psychologists: 67%
Security and financial services salespersons: 65%
Operating engineers: 64%
Office supervisors: 61%

Least happy workers

Waiters/servers: 27%
Roofers: 25%
Garage/gas station attendants: 13%
Aly-Kotah sales rep.: 100%...J/K Patrick!

·
1,457 Posts
I did different jobs in my life, the last ten years I write computer programs for pharmacists, but lately I really want to work at home like Patrick does. Unfortunately that is very difficult in Belgium :frown:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm a civil servant ( policymaker) at the road safety department. It's not a great job ( salary) but it's very satisfying knowing you help to make the roads a little safer.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I always enjoyed my job at GM on the assembly line.

Knowing that I had a part in making a vehicle that got people where they needed to go.

I have always enjoyed building things, just about anything.

When I went into construction, I was always proud of the fact that I made the things that most people take for granted.

Funny how little it takes to make me happy.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get a kick out of getting a neighbourhoods cable back on as fast as I can. Last year I received an extra bonus for restoring cable outage on average 35-40 mins. Thats drive time, diagnostics, and repair. Company average was 1.5-2 hrs...and I'm sure my customers appreciated it too.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I get a kick out of getting a neighbourhoods cable back on as fast as I can. Last year I received an extra bonus for restoring cable outage on average 35-40 mins. Thats drive time, diagnostics, and repair. Company average was 1.5-2 hrs...and I'm sure my customers appreciated it too.
When we had cable it was out more than it was on, in the city. We don’t have cable here, to far out in the boonies.

I can remember cable going out for days in Worcester, MA.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
In my previous job as U.S. Navy Crew Chief/Load Master I traveled a lot and there was always something exciting happening to keep me busy. I didnt want to retire, and after 3 years I still miss the job and would go back in a minute.
My present Job as a Medical Equipment Technician is rewarding because I know the equipment I install will save lives, but it gets boring working at the same accounts everyday, if I didnt have such a large territory to cover that keeps me busy I probably woulda quit before now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts