GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... I've just purchased an 08 Silverado WT, 4.3L v6. I'm thinking on getting either a Cold Air Intake (K&N) or a Magnaflow muffler. Between the two, which would give me the most improvement in gas mileage? I'm using the truck primarily for commuting and weekend trips to Home Depot. Slowly, but surely I'll do an entire exhaust system swap. But until I can save some more money, I'll just go piece by piece.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
hey, hey. Lots of plans for your truck! I'm not sure which one would give you the best ROI for your dollars, becuase that's what it looks like you're asking. Anyone know this?

·
Registered
109 Posts
i would do the CAI first. you will see a small increase untill u do the exhaust. more air on same amount out.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'd go K&N because I found once you add an exhaust system your right foot tends to get a little heavier which deff. wont help your mileage.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am waiting to get mine broke in to see what the actual mileage is and then I would try and see if improvements would get me more.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The first thing I will try at 3000 miles is synthetic oil.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hello... I've just purchased an 08 Silverado WT, 4.3L v6. I'm thinking on getting either a Cold Air Intake (K&N) or a Magnaflow muffler. Between the two, which would give me the most improvement in gas mileage? I'm using the truck primarily for commuting and weekend trips to Home Depot. Slowly, but surely I'll do an entire exhaust system swap. But until I can save some more money, I'll just go piece by piece.

Thanks!
I would good with a K&N intake and then do tune on the truck . That will give you 30-40 HP more and 5+ more MPG

Mark

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Mark did you really gain 5 more MPG with your set-up? :gasp:
Did you go with custom tuning or an off the shelf unit? Let me know as I'll be doing both mods to my truck hopefully next month.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mark did you really gain 5 more MPG with your set-up? :gasp:
Did you go with custom tuning or an off the shelf unit? Let me know as I'll be doing both mods to my truck hopefully next month.
Time I got my SS , I was runing 17-18 MPG with the Tune Im getting now 21-22 MPG that at 65 MPH . I gain more on the Highway , But For Me it is a Wash becouse I progem my PCM to run 92 , 93 , or Higher . But for it will be good for what you are lookin for . What kind of tune are you planing to get?
Around town with the stock tune 15-16 MPG . With my new tune 16-17 MPG .
I have an HP tuner that I do my Tuneing with .
http://www.hptuners.com/ here is a link for HP tuners

Mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
Which mod first?

I'd go with the synthetic oil change first as soon as possibal , after reading a chapter in a mechanics text book years ago , about what happens in a new engine , shavings from all the parts working together , every new vehicle I've ever bought , I do the first oil change before 1000 miles and the second at 3000 . Go with an air filter system first . I use only K&N but thats my choice . You WILL see a nice performance gain and better MPGs , plus you will hear it working which you most likely won't once you put on a good exhaust system . I'd go with Borla , Magna-Flow , or Gibson STAINLESS , it's worth the extra $s to know you'll NEVER have buy another system for that truck . Then do the tuner . Each of the above mods done in stages to both of my trucks showed nice gains in both perf. and MPGs . 99 2-dr. Tahoe 5.7 , 20 MPG in the burbs , 25 MPG on interstates 2001 HD 2500 crew cab 6.0 , 16MPG burbs , 19 MPG interstate . And they'll both run like muscle cars when I want .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your input, all of your advise is much appreciated. I'll def get a K&N Cold Air Intake 1st. I'll do everything else little by little.

Thanks again!!:great:

·
Registered
17 Posts
yea me too. Thanks Doug that really helped. By the way I was told that carbon fiber mods wont heat up as easy as stainless and metal. Would that be a better way to go for CAI?:happy:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone know where I can get a hold of a K&N Cold Air intake for my year ('08 Silverado 4.3L) ? So far I've only been able to find intakes for 4.8L's and bigger. Or would the intakes for the 07 4.3L engines work too? Oh, another thing, do the 4.3L engines for the Classic Silverado's and New Body Style Silverado's differ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I did alittle bit of searching and couldn't find a intake system for your v6. As far as the older year ones working for your truck I wouldn't count on it. For the v8's I know that they make one's specifically for the New Body Style. I know they'll come out with one if your willing to wait alittle longer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts