GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my drive home from work I was pondering my decisions on what to get my truck and when and in what order. I was wondering what everyone thinks I should do first, performance enhancing(headers,exhaust system,CAI,programmer, alternator, transmission,shocks, etc.) or aesthetics(rims,lift,lights,rollbar,grille,grille guard,bumper,etc.)? I haven't looked in to performance much and realized that I'm probably gonna need it before I get toooo much on my truck.

I have a 2009 Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab Short Bed 4.8L V8. Everything is stock, nothing has changed, not even my presets on the radio and it has 29500 miles.

I'm also open to any suggestions on performance parts and even links to discussions on performance parts.

Thanks, Cody.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Ok first off Why do you need Headers,Trans and a Alternator? Are you towing? Your stock headers are open so your not going to get much from a aftermarket pair.. Most people get the CAI,Programer and Nice Exhaust to start. The first thing you need to get are your GM TRUCK CLUB.COM STICKERS..

Is the truck 4wd? What kind of look are you looking for?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well like Enkei pointed out, customizing your truck really depends on what kinda look you're goin for. However, I also think that there are a couple of "universal" things you can get on your truck to enhance the look and performance!

When I purchased my 2010 Sierra, I had two lists set up: The "Need" list and my "want" list. Due to the fact that I do quite a bit of travelling and occasionally haulin my "Need" list included things like a bed liner (Spray in Tuffgrip from Rhino), Sidesteps (black powder coated, have vertically challenged people in the family!), and Tonneau Cover (Undercover Classic cover). These things always add to your vehicle, even if you don't get everything. There's also a wide selection of products and brands, depending on your needs again (drop in liner versus spray, fiberglass tonneau versus plastic, etc.). Defelctors also are inexpensive ways to add a personal touch to your ride!

Now the "want" list has all the performace stuff I've done or am thinking of doing. This includes exhaust systems (duel cat back from Magnaflow), intakes (Volant CAI), headers, and chips. Course wheels, tires, and lifts are also on this list. Because of the drivin I do, I'm personally hesitant to do a lift and wheel combo, due to the loss in MPG. As I have a heavy foot, these are some serious considerations!!

So, in a round about way there are some basics as to comin up with WHAT you want to do, and a few brands to check out! Hope that helps out!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I agree with above. Are you looking to make it so you can race cars on the street or do you want something to cruise around and jump over some curbs with. Thats completely up to you. In my opinion since you have a crew cab and hopefully 4x4 I say go with the lift and tires and then throw on a exhaust. I think you'll get a bigger difference in your truck with a lift and tires than you will headers and intake. If you choose you want performance then save up for a forced induction kit! That'd be unique!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm wanting to go for the off-road look, and yes it's a 4x4, and I do travel but only about two or three times a year. This is what I want so far:
I'd like a roof rack, roll bar, 6" skyjacker lift w/replacement OEM performance shocks by King, grille guard(still deciding between prerunner and titan II)and rear bumper by road armor, 20"XD Monster wheels with 33" tires(idk on those yet), and lots of lights, 6LR KC HiLites, vision x lightbars, 4 PIAA fog lights, 4 Hella rallye 4000's, and replacement head, tail, and reverse lights, and Hella Optilux lights for reverse, along with another light bar for giggles as reverse and brake. NFab steps and a black grille by T-Rex.And for the interior im gonna to a full custom interior upgrade, sound system, radio, and then a CB radio(to play tag in the trucks on weekends) with a PA external speaker. And then I have 2 winches on my list but it's so that the front and rear bumpers don't have a huge gaping hole in them. And I was also looking at getting a CAI, magnaflow muffler with an exhaust system(I'm not really sure on how all that works though).

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Better start saving up lol. Your list sounds good, best thing to do is tackle each upgrade one at a time and see how they all start to come together, that way you can change/add/ subtract items to your list based on your truck's progress and what you want it to look like.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
JUst remember you do have the smaller Motor and with bigger tires you will lose power and MPG's..

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think you need to decide what's most important to you. From reading your list it looks like you want some lights. :) I'd start there. I also like good lighting, and would love to see what it would look like with what you listed.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
run 35's with a 6'' lift not 33's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts