GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the market to purchase a new '07 Silverado (reg. cab, 4wd, LT1, Z71); I've located several dealers in my area who have trucks with this configuration, but now I'm faced with several engine choices:

1. Vortec 4.8L V8
  2. Vortec 5.3L V8 (w/Active Fuel Mgmt)
  3. Vortec 5.3L V8 with FlexFuel Techology (w/Active Fuel Mgmt)

(http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/features/#engine)

To me, getting a 5.3L with Active Fuel Management sounds like a good choice, because I've had cars with cylinder deactivation before, and it does make a noticeable difference when it comes to fuel efficiency. But this was on a V6 Honda Pilot, it could be a completely different story when it comes to V8's...

As far as FlexFuel, I don't really have the need for this, as this truck will be used in Baja California (Mexico) most of the time, and E85 fuel is unavailable down there. However it seems as though all 5.3L trucks come with the FlexFuel option. Does FlexFuel sound like one of those new GM technologies that could be trouble a few years down the road?

Which of the three is more reliable (and less likely to give me headaches a few years down the road)? Which offers more fuel economy?

More importantly, which one would YOU choose, and why?

Thanks in advance guys...

-S.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think just the regular 5.3L with dod is fine. The flexfuel is really not that big a deal, do a little research on it and you will see. I have the new 6.0L with dod, personally I don't see a difference the only time it cuts out 4 cyl. is when I am going down a hill without touching gas. If you drive a 100km/hr on cruise on a flat road it will cut out. But I am always heavy on the pedal so I usually don't see it. I had the 5.3L in my 05 Silverado, and it was a great motor. Excellent fuel economy. Hope that helps alittle.

new chevy parts www.gmpartsclub.com

·
Super Moderator
3,397 Posts
my cousin has an 02 or 03 with the 5.3 in it, but not with the cylinder deactivation stuff in it. it does a good job. Personally, I would have taken a 5.7L if it were on the list, but sadly it isn't. the 4.8 may seem a little underpowered if you like to lay into the gas every once in a while. I don't think the fuel economy between the 2 motors would be much, but I have been known to be wrong. Hope my cryptic talking helps you...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Fourth choice

I'd buy an older Silverado with a 454 so you could tow something. Use the money saved to take a vacation! But within the limitation given I'd choose 5.3 without the flexfuel.

·
Registered
270 Posts
go 5.3 as for flex fuel anything from 05 to present is set up for it. Ive had a 2000 tahoe , 2002 Z71 avalanche with 3:75 rear and I presently have a 05 Z71 avalanche with 3:42 all with the 5.3 great motor. as for towing my 02 towed my 05 gto from orlando to fort myers no problem it was like it was not even there. now there wasnt any hills so dont know how it handles up and down hills. If you get one go with the 3:75 rear thats the only thing that I miss from my 02 avalanche . As for gas miles I get 15 around town and 19-20 highway. hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, I more than likely will be getting the Silverado with the 5.3 FlexFuel engine.

I'm gonna sound like a complete newbie, but...what's the difference between the rear axle ratios? (What do they do differently, and how is this applied to the truck usage?) The window sticker says the truck I'm looking at has a 3.73 rear axle ratio.

Just FYI, probably the most I'll be hauling with this truck will be a trailer with 3 quads...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Got it!

Okay guys, I finally found my next truck:

2007 Chevrolet Silverado
  • Regular cab
  • LT1, Z71
  • Summit white/ebony
  • 5.3L FlexFuel V8
  • 4.10 Rear axle ratio

I was looking exactly for this style/configuration/package/color, and I had a hard time finding it here in California. I tried contacting 4 different dealers in San Diego and none of these was even remotely helpful in getting me what I wanted (they all wanted to sell me the ones THEY had in stock...a$$ho1es).

So what I ended up doing was to go into the Chevrolet site and do a search for it; turns out the truck I was looking for was 300 miles north of me. I contacted the dealer who had it, and he immediately said he'd deliver this truck right to my driveway!

Ever since high school I've wanted a white colored regular cab chevy Z71, and now it's scheduled to be delivered next Tuesday...

Just wanted to share (ok brag) :mdr:

PS: I finally know all about axle ratios ;)

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I found it very helpful as well to go through Chevrolet.com and build the truck you want then search local dealers to find who has that truck built the way you want (give or take a few options). That's how I found my Yellow Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax. I have seen so many silver, black, white, red, blue, and pewter models but never a yellow one. It was love at first sight! It did help that it was already set up with 20's, a fancy brushguard with PIAA lights, and Line-x in the box.

Share some pictures once she arrives.:great:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found it very helpful as well to go through Chevrolet.com and build the truck you want then search local dealers to find who has that truck built the way you want (give or take a few options). That's how I found my Yellow Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax. I have seen so many silver, black, white, red, blue, and pewter models but never a yellow one. It was love at first sight! It did help that it was already set up with 20's, a fancy brushguard with PIAA lights, and Line-x in the box.

Share some pictures once she arrives.:great:
Will do!

Do you have any pictures of your truck around here? It sounds pretty sweet, but it's hard to appreciate from your tiny avatar... Was the yellow available from factory in '06?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sounds like you found a nice truck. Good luck with it. Power of internet gotta love. Thats how i went about looking for a vehical. Plus where i live the deals just want to rip you off so its better to go out of area. To answer the ? about gear the larger the gear the slower the rear will move. 4:10s you will have no problems towing. The gears i have suck in rain tires spin to easy even in light gravel it sucks( it could be tires too but ?) so when I replace the tires I plan on going bigger tires so with luck it will solve both problems with out changing gears.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good choice with the 4.10's; that truck should really move and definately have no issues towing. Make sure ya get some pics when they deliver it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts