GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your honest opinion what would be a better choice of engine I have 2 burbans one is 82" 6.2L deisel the other is a 79" 350 Chevy I am trying to decide what motor will last me the longest.
The story goes like this "After many a repair the 6.2 finally dumped the tranny and I think the crank in the 83' so I bought a 79 for $400 to replace it but the 79 is a rustbox pos once i got under it and checked out the bondo and what it was covering.
Would it be easy to swap the 350 into the 83 or are there mounting differences between the two motors and tranny's. let me know what you guys know if you care about Old Burbans. Oh yeah and Hi I AM New here so welcome me

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I say go with the 6.2, with a few tweaks here and there that engine will return many miles of service and decent fuel mileage.
If you decide to put the 350 in the Diesel body you'll need to replace the fuel tank, some underhood wiring, the exhaust system, and some work on the vacuum assist for the brakes.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
yea I would have to agree with what he said... the diesel will definitely lat longer

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I would also go diesel but with prices hitting 4.50 these days who knows....

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Thats why his next step should be to get a Bio-Diesel kit and brew his own fuel.
I'm finally burning 100% Bio-Diesel in my 01 TBD, but I only drive the truck about 400 miles a month so it isnt to hard to mix up enough fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts