GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey out there,

I just bought a 03 TB LS a couple of weeks ago and I love it so far. However, I'm just noticing a couple of things that I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

First, when I accelerate at any RPM, I hear a whining sound from the engine. The only way I can describe it is that it sounds like the whine from a supercharger. My friend has a Nissan Frontier with a SC and it makes that high-pitched sound during acceleration. My TB just passed 60k miles, so I need to replace the air filter, but is there anything else I should be looking at? The whining stops once I've stopped accelerating.

Second thing, I just did a ~300 mile trip from Bakersfield, CA to the Bay Area (pretty flat, 95% freeway and only one "mountain" ~1000 feet in elevation) and I got a little over 16MPG. That seems pretty poor to me. I plan on replacing the air filter and fuel filter (per the maintenance schedule), but should those items have such a drastic impact on fuel economy? Reading around the Internet, it seems like I should at LEAST be getting around 20. This is the first 4X4 that I've ever owned, but would the extra weight cause this much difference?

I guess I'm just stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Is the whining sound constant, or does it increase with the amount of throttle that you give it? What's your powerplant btw?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

I have a I6 4.2L, if that's what you're asking.

The whining sound occurs only when driving at higher RPM's, higher than 3k. When I'm cruising on the freeway ~2100 RPM, I don't hear the whining (though the wind noise could be drowning it out). The volume increases as RPM increases, but the pitch does not change.

As far as loss of power, I don't have anything to compare it to. I just started driving this TB about a month ago.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Does anyone know if the TB 4.2L engine has a timing gear set, or timing chain set?

Maybe the previous own installed timing gears...Noisy ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
whine from engine

I have a '02 TB with 72k on the 4.2. I've owned the truck for about a month. it has the whine also. Sounds alot like a turbo diesel when its cold. but if I have it in neutral next to anything, it's definatly noticeable. But it never goes away totally.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Wifes 05 Trailblazer had whining sound and it was the alternator. On last trip at christmas she got 22mpg on the highway. Its a 2x4 with 4.2 engine, Mobil 1 syth. fluids, AFE intake and Magnaflow exhaust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
mine is an 03 tb LTZ like my name. you need to beleve me when i say its the power steering pump, typical and allmost all chevy's. i have the same problem but i think it sounds sweet and i can fool some people in to beleving that i do have a supercharger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:lol:it is in the power steering pump my make a little nosie also but has not caused any probles .check fluid make sure it is full
I know this is an old topic but...

Maybe this whining noise is a chevy thing. My mom in law has the same noise from her mid 90s blazer. Thought it was a steering pump and replaced it without any change in noise. A friend of mine has it in his late 90s tahoe. We tried isolating it by removing the serpentine figuring a noisy PS pump is what it was, however, with no belt and the waterpump an steering pump silent,the noise was still there. near as we could figure, it seems to come from the rear of the block/transmission area. I'd guess a trans pump going out, but I'd assume transmission failure would follow closely behind the noise occuring, but both of these vehicles have been running for years with these noises.

Any thoughts other than PS pump?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts