GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
4,780 Posts
After doing a search, I've read the posts about getting oil on the MAF. However, I haven't actually seen any posts from people who say they have a K&N cold air intake system on their truck. Does anyone have one installed, and do you have pics of it installed?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Performance-Parts/K-N-Intake-Systems.aspx?t_c=74&t_s=6&t_pt=4555&t_pl=2783&Year=1999&Make=CHEVROLET&Model=K1500+SUBURBAN&Engine=5.7L+V8+350+CID+GAS&Aspiration=Normal&EngVin=R
I have a K&N CAI installed on my Truck, and No problems with Oil getting into the MAF.........K&N CAI gets a Bad Rap regarding Oil in the MAF......IMO the reason for this, is because some who buy the K&N Do Not Read the Instructions on how to Wash and Re-Oil there Filter's.....an Over Oil the Filter's.....I've been using K&N's on All of my vehicles, and Not One Problem with Oil getting into the MAF!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had one on my truck now for 5 years and had one on my Trailblazer for 2 years before that and until I just read this post I hadn't heard of this being a problem. Obviously I've never had a problem in all that time. In fact when I changed my oil this last time I bought some MAF and throttle body cleaner. The MAF wasn't too bad for having 170K miles on it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I had a k&n filter on several of my last cars without issue. I think you all are correct that some people are just over-oiling their filters.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i just installed mine in my silverado and i love it, i can tell my MPG has increased and it sounds alot meaner when you accelerate.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
K&N has some very good info on this subject on the website. I've had K&N filters or CAI's on ever truck/car since 1977 and have never had a problem with MAF's or MAP sensors. As Mike mention alot of people over oil there filters. Use the oil sparingly, this is a case were less is better.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
The best thing to do is after you clean your K&N just clean the MAF.. takes only 5 more mins......

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I think I'll be adding a K&N CAI to the truck soon. I've always had the filters in my cars, but I think the Burb needs the CAI... BTW, has anyone done a snorkel on their suburban and posted picks? I'm gonna go do a search right now. Not sure I need to go that route, since I doubt that I'll ever find myself waist deep in water, but it would look cool.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of the CAI over the standard airbox? The conical filter definitely looks cooler than the standard flat filter, but that is about the only difference I can see.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of the CAI over the standard airbox? The conical filter definitely looks cooler than the standard flat filter, but that is about the only difference I can see.

Realistically, not much. It is supposed to provide better/increased air flow, which will improve HP, but the effect is minimal. The biggest thing it does is make the engine growl more at WOT...

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
The aftermarket CAI's don't have all the ribs/baffles in the airbox itself and no baffles in the intake tube resulting in better airflow and throttle response. Most CAI's are good for about a true 5hp.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I ordered the K&N intake off amazon last night... $225 with free shipping. It should be hear sometime in the next 7-10 days. I'm excited to get it installed.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Cool, post pictures when installed.:great:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a K&N. Possibly I think I read the model for the GMT400 may have been redesigned. The cone filter that attaches to round element sucks because it is plastic and it just ends up crushing it. Occasionally mine has slipped off.

I thought about reinforcing the inner intake portion with a metal ring somehow, but haven't had time to bother messing with it.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Kraziken have you contacted K&N about your issues. If they have a updated kit/parts I'm sure they will send them to you for free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts