GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am about to buy a 99' tahoe 2dr and was just wondering if anyone has the same vehicle and what their mpg is. would a cold air intake, exhaust help at all to improve it? what else is there to do? thanks

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Technically a good intake and exhaust will help out your MPG but you have to watch out. When your truck makes more noise, your going to want to hear it, which leads to a much heavier right foot in the beginning. At least that's how it is for me.:great:

But anyways yes they will help. K&N,S&B,Airaid and others make some pretty decent intakes. Flowmaster exhaust which in my opionion sound the best, haven't really yielded me any good mpg or hp numbers. Now magnaflow, borla, corsa and gibson will give you a little of both.

Another route you might consider is a programmer/tuner. Hypertech, Jet and Superchips all make good one's and you'll probly see the most benefit from one of those. The more things you do the better. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright, some good ideas. but what is the mpg on this beast? i have looked up the mpg, but i want real-time results from drivers of a 99' chevy 2dr tahoe 5.7L. thanks

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The MPG for the 2dr Tahoe 5.7 will be the same as for Suburbans/Tahoes of the same vintage/same rear end etc.The wt difference is small-no more than 300 lbs(on 5000 lbs),so no reason the mpg will be different.
I get about 12 mpg in pure stoplight to stoplight city driving- 15 mpg in mixed city and city interstate-and about 17 hy at 65mph with a 1998 2wd Suburban(197,500 miles with the roughly 3.4 rear end.Hy mpg will be a tiny bit less(couple of tenths) with the lower(roughly 3.7) rear end.
Luck,
Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts