GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, the main deal is comfort. I'm 6'4" and 270 lbs. I don't fit into these little foreign jobs or even into most midsize cars with much comfort. But, give me a full-sized truck or SUV (and the trailblazer gives a lot of room too) and I'm very comfortable.

Then there is the utility aspect of it all. The point of having a suburban for me is for that saturday morning project when I have to run to the hardware store and some back with a load of lumber or a new door or some stuff for the kid like a new bed or whatever. They just don't fit into the trailblazer or my wife's little Caviliar. It's a must have.

Then there's the point of being the king of the road. ... enough said. :)

So, why does everyone else have a suburban?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I drive a suburban because my little ford explorer was too small to pull my trailors. I pull a 28ft flatbed with a skid loader, a boat and my hobby cars around frequently. Towing power was a premium. I also have 3 kids and often have several people with me so it was nice to have the third seat and actually be able to road trip in comfort. I love my truck! I have found that will probably have to get a 1 ton diesel crew cab pickup shortly to support my construction interests and so I don't beat my suburban up to bad with the big trailers. I don't expect to part with the Suburban though I will fix it up and keep it for my "nice" truck.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I drive a Suburban for a couple different reasons.
I do horse transportation on the side. I started with a '01 Ranger, but found that while it could pull the trailer w/horses, with no problem, I still wanted to be able to pull a larger trailer if needed. Luckily my Father gave me his suburban, so besides great timing for my side business it has sentimental value.
I doubt I'd ever give it up! :D :D :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why do I drive A Suburban?, It's a Suburban. Until recent years there was nothing else like them. They are the most usefull/versatile and THE original "SUV"(GM originally classified them as "MPV"-Multi Purpose Vehicle). There is just something about driving one of the biggest things on the road that puts a grin on my face every time I drive anywhere(even if it's just up and down the back alley). I grew up around trucks, first driving and then maintaining a fleet of Freightliners. My Suburban has been the only vehicle that has given me the same feeling that driving and fixing Freightliners has. A 1ton crew cab diesel dually 4x4 would be the only other truck that could compare.
I adopted my first Suburban when I was 15, It was a 1963 2 door panel with barn doors, straight 6, 3 on the tree. It was a fun project that I transplanted a 427 into it and just as it was begining to come together when I was 16 I had to sell it due to a move that was beyound my control(out of province). One day I'd like to find another one(if not an older one), possibly a 50's vintage. Until then my 86 will remain my toy/ongoing project.
I also can't think of a safer vehicle for transporting my family around in.
Ron :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don´t drive a Suburban...... yet. But I hope I will in a near future. I´m living in Sweden and there isn´t a lot of Suburbans for sale here... and they are quite expensive here too. I´m thinking of importing one from the US, it will be cheaper even with freight costs and taxes and registration fees included. The reason why I would love to have one is the size and the masculinity I think it has. I´m not very found of KIA´s and Toyota´s and European stuff .... well I do like my Volvo´s. I´s there anyone who can give me a hint about buying a Suburban made before or after year 2000 (I think there was an upgrade around that year) At last I ask you not to be to hard on me if my language isn´t perfect... I´m better in the Swedish vocabulary.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, most of us here don't speak a lick of Swedish, so you're probably ahead of us as far as that goes.

What does gas cost out in Sweden? I thought I read that it's like $2/liter or something around that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The price converted into USD/gal is about 5,40 USD/gal. 30% of it is the "real" gas cost.... the rest is taxes and fees..... Borned free, taxed to death you know. However I looked into Kelley Blue Book on the web and found out that late Suburbans are Bi-Fuel built. Do they drive them on E85 (ethanol)? Are all later Suburbans with 5,3 Vortec Bi-Fuel? I asume the fuel consumption will be higher with ethanol, but in Sweden i think the price for ethanol is about 3,80 USD/gal so perhaps it will be less expensive to drive on ethanol.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Pekero, In Minnesota (lot of Swedes here, (myself included)) the governer is really pushing for ethenol. There are a Lot fo the newer vehicles that are e85 capable. I think for suburbans that was applied to all of them around 2003 ro 2004. I buddy of mine has a 2004 that is e85.

·
Registered
33 Posts
started out with a 86 burb in 1990, still have it , the wife wont let me get rid of it, bought the 94 last year, really pissed gmc droped the nameplate, both of ours are gmc's. we have hauled everything from 2.000 lbs of feed in a 1/2 ton burb with no ill affects to the 86, hauled a flat bed trailer with an f 150 on it from nashville tenn. to allabama. pulled a 4 horse stock trailer all over tenn. full. wife thinks its a tank, and by todays standards it is, 86 weights in at 6660 lbs, 94 weights in at 1000 lbs less. both have the 350, 5.7L . both hold 20- 4x8' sheet of plywood, and will haul the wifes stock trailer without a problem, i like the extra weight of the burb for hauling trailers, it gives you an extra sence of security, never felt comfortable trailering with a pick up. we do own other vehicles, for other purposes, 86 fiero se v6 grocery getter, 92 f 150 for fencing around the farm and just things to tall for the burb. 2 ford vans, club wagon, and cargo van for work, and a 79 gmc sierra for plowing the farm. we have a small 25 acre farm with horses, great pyrenness, goats, cows. so when the next time comes to buy the next burb it will be anouther burb, nothing else will do!

·
Registered
33 Posts
no born in maine, raised in mass. worked for gm in mass at cpc framingham mass. until it closed moved to tenn. to work for saturn and found my youngest daughter was alergic to the entire state so we moved back north and maine was what we wanted.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I worded that statement poorly. I was asking what type of farming do you do in Maine. "What do you grow up there?"

Yes, there are a LOT of allergens in the South. Try the Dallas/Fort Worth area if you want some allergic fun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
wife raises great pyreness guardians, goats, for milk. she makes goats milk soap. the horses are more pets but are used for pet therapy for handycaped children, as are the goats, bunnies, and other assorted animals.
as far as the alergys go the doctors there said that except for one place in china where we lived, shelbyville, was the worst place in the world for allergys. my wife who never had an allergy in her life had them there. i did not, but for the sake of our daughter i felt it would be better to just move back north. where the air is better for our daughter, since we moved she has not had an asma attack. glad to be back home where theres a white xmass, we were in tenn. for four years and had one snow storm and three tornados, one within a mile of home, so that made my wifes mind up.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it's great to have someone who's got an inside view into GM and the suburban. Thanks for joining up.

·
1,532 Posts
I'm new, but thought I'd chime in.

We just bought our Suburban ('98 K1500) a couple days ago. Here's kind of how we arrived at the decision:

1) with the arrival of the twins a year ago, we wanted something able to carry the whole family in (4 kids total plus the two adults). This requirement alone eliminates almost anything car based (except a few station wagon models) and small SUV's

2) one thing I don't like is feeling confined to the pavement. With its long wheelbase and IFS suspension, the Suburban is far from an ideal off-road rig, but it does have reasonable ground clearance, 4 wheel drive, and a reasonably stout "truck-based" drivetrain and suspension system so that we won't be afraid to get off the beaten path.

3) towing. We are avid campers with a small tent trailer. We don't always select campsites "on the beaten path" (see 2 above).

With all that in mind, we decided we wanted a mid to full size SUV. When you compare them, there really isn't anything else out there (except a Ford Excursion) that can carry people AND cargo like a Suburban. Excursions haven't been around long enough to be in our price range, so we got the Suburban. Looking forward to getting to know it inside and out and having some good family fun with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Use to pull my 4500# travel trailer, haul my 3 dogs around and, occasionally, to haul myself out of the snow when it gets too much for my little Hyundais, of which I have two. Only put 6-7K miles on annually now, almost exclusively with spring and fall vacations, 3-4 weeks long. It does the job quite well, tho may get traded in on a motorhome very soon.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Taggart, welcome to the site.

What type of mileage do you get with your 99 7.4?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts