GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I have a 2003 Silverado 1500 4x4 with the LM7 and 4l60e. The 4l60e is a “four speed overdrive transmission.” However, I have more than four gears. I'll be in the highest gear going up a hill, and it will downshift. But then if I pull the gear selector down into 3, it will downshift again. Does anyone have an idea why? I have been searching for the answer since I got my truck, but no luck. During light acceleration, it shifts into second at 10, third at 20, fourth at 35, but then it goes into an even higher gear the second I hit 40. HELP!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Sounds like the torque converter locking up. This is normal. Under heavy acceleration my 97 silverado 5.7L does this at 80 MPH. Its like going into a higher gear, but what is happening is that the torque converter is locking up into a straight drive unit,( no slippage what so ever) in the next gen and above 4L60E trans, GM has more torque converter management in the ECM. So the torque converter will go into full lock under certain load conditions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts