GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is gas costing a higher pertentage of the average household's income these days?

Seems to me that it's like 5% of the average household's income. For gas! Should be like .5%

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure, it's a captive commodity. one that we can not do without. Not a good position to be in, it's like we're gas junkies.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I'm all for open markets, but I think that you're right. Gas is becomming a very large line-item expense when it comes to the budget.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think you're right. For an average guy, gas is geting to be a major part of the budget, when it was just maybe thrown into the "gas and oil and maint" before, as a sub-category of Auto. Now it's its own category in the budget!

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Thought I would pull up this old post, lol. Funny that back in 2005 we were just starting to notice that gas prices were starting to go up. Wow, how naive we were back then.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Why is Gas so much? One word...... Greed.....

NO! Gas is traded just like sugar and pork bellies. That's called free market(capitalism)..look it up.

The real reason gas is high is the lack of refineries. We havent built one since the 70's.

2. We buy most of it from the middle east when we dont have to(OPEC).

3. Liberals

4. Modern hippies

The federal tax on gas is .18 roughly. Then add in your local state and city sales tax.

And I dont get the "electric" car thing being the answer and why its so "green". Dont these people understand that your local electric company generates electricity with COAL!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Why is Gas so much? One word...... Greed.....

You are exactly correct however a blanket explanation: So oil company CEO's and their families can live in the lap of luxury while pee-on's like us search for a penny cheaper discount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts