GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, it happened backing out of the garage. Anyway, we got it fixed, but the NEW mirror shakes badly as I drive down the road. When looking through it to watch the trailor being pulled it gives me a headache. I went back to the dealer that replaced it....the tech said there's nothing he could do. What's up. Is there something he could tighten, or is he just fudging cuz he would have to replace the new one due to being defective? This is an '04 duramax with the accordion-like extending mirrors.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Not to name names, but a relative of mine recently backed out of her garage for an early AM shift at the hospital and forgot to open the garage. "It's always dark backing up anyhow, I just forgot to put it up". It happens. It's never happend to me, but that's another story. ;-)

Anyhow, it is physically possible to install a mirror on your rig that doesn't vibrate when going down the road. I know, becuase I've done it. Your old mirror didn't vibrate before it was damaged I'll bet, so the replacement shouldn't vibrate either.

Is this a full electric unit? I've never actually taken one of these off before, but the old manual cable units. I assume it's all the same. They're usually held on by a ball-socket union, that allows it to move around when it needs to be adjusted. Usually that's a pressure/elastic type of deal holding it in. Sorry, I can't explain it any better, but I think that's the general idea.

I read you got it done at the dealership, I'd say it's probably under warranty for the work they did, so it should be fixed and they can claim it was defective.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Not to name names, but a relative of mine recently backed out of her garage for an early AM shift at the hospital and forgot to open the garage. "It's always dark backing up anyhow, I just forgot to put it up". It happens. It's never happend to me, but that's another story. ;-)
I got two new garage doors in two years when I lived in Georgia for the same reason. Only my daughter closed the door both times while the wife was backing out in a truck with a campershell on it. Never hurt the truck, but put some dents on the shell.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Two possibilities:
The mirror wasnt properly secured when replaced.
Or there was damage to the mirror mount that wasnt caught, perhaps the mount holes have a crack or the mount is slightly bent.
Either way it should have been caught when the mirror was replaced at the dealer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've have the same mirror problem on my '04 silverado. Tech blamed it on my bug-def. I'm a doubtful but they wouldn't do anything about it. Mine is a pain but no headaches. They are the power extenders so they will be pricey to fix so I learned to live with it.

A buddy of mine back into his garage with his ATV in the back of his truck one time. He had done it many times before, but he forgot that he had reaised the suspension on his quad. Ripped the rubber off the bottem of his door. Knew another guy with a brand new cap on his truck. Back into his garage with a full, heavy load of wood on his truck. Took off the wood. Truck came back up. Rip the door off his new cap on the way out. I guess a inch means alot somtimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts