GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will 20 inch wheels from a 2020 silverado 1500 fit my 2000 silverado 1500?

Thinking about buying some take offs. The best that I can tell, they will work. Going from7Jx16 ET31 with 235/75R16 (30's) to 9Jx20 ET28 with 275/60r20 (33's).

I also have a 5" front suspension lift if it matters.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
your not building a donk are you? or is this the Cali Lean? maybe you can explain to me what the purpose is because I dont understand why someone would do this to a truck?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is going to be a fun utility/hunting truck eventually (still road worthy). It's a 2000 silverado 1500 ext. cab 2wd w/ standard transmission.

It has a 5" suspension lift in the front and 3" blocks with air bag suspension in the rear that gives it another 2-3". Lifted because we drive through water from time to time here in south Louisiana. I want to install a 3" body lift eventually with 35" all-terrains.

I had a difficult time finding 35" all-terrain tires that worked on the stock wheels (16"x7" with 30" tires) within the manufacturer's specifications. So since the truck needs new tires soon, I started looking online at wheels and on the more inexpensive side of what I found were trade-in wheels off of later model year trucks that are larger, such as a set of 2020 silverado 1500 wheels with tires (20"x9" with 33" tires) that I found on craigslist. I used a wheel offset calculator and did take some measurements and the tire/wheel combo looked like it wouldn't rub at all, but I'm hesitant to buy them until I'm reasonably sure it would work. I was hoping someone else out there had done this before (using stock '19+ wheels with the '99-'06).

Believe it or not my hours on Google did not really help. I also am leaning towards doing this as inexpensively as possible, so any and all advice is welcome.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Ahhhh Gotcha! sounds much better than what I pictured. It should look great!

big tires look great but to be optimal you will require a gearing change... see this chart.... and if you go with 20" rim's and keep a similar aspect ratio a thinner sidewall isn't really helpful off road

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So from what I can tell, most people who run 35's on a 2000 silverado 1500 say, that's the max tire size you can run without re-gearing from stock. I'm not opposed to it, I know I can do it myself if I decided to. I've done 99% of the maintenance and repairs for this truck since I bought it in 2007.

My next step is to browse Facebook market place, but I don't have any social media. The craigslist contact fell through. I want to do it this, but I'm more or less not that interested in spending $2500k+ on a 21 year old truck. The last set of 30" Duratrax for the truck ran me $1200.00. Hmmmmm.....

Ebay sales look interesting....but again with shipping it could cost a lot. Anybody have any ideas for a fella on a budget?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I dont mean to bash anyone's opinion but if you look at the chart, 35" tires would require 4.56 gearing to stay in the power range and to optimize fueling.... so in other words every truck is different because they all have different gearing.... my burb has 3.73 and I run 31" tires which puts me in the green but leaning towards fuel economy she gets inbetween 17-18 MPG constantly. my Sierra has 3.42 and with 28" tires and I'm in the same spot, in the green but leaning toward fuel economy. this truck will roast both tires in an instant and it's pretty fun! Iv never checked fuel economy in this truck.

anyways make decisions based on facts. not opinions. I have 2007 rim's and tires on my 1997 Burb. I dont know any of the details but they look good and fit perfect.

Al

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,323 Posts
I've got over twice what I paid for the truck in my 2000. The engine swap alone was more than the cost of the truck. 470k miles and finally got the CEL to go away. 😬

If you like the truck, it's paid off, and you have no debt, there's really no reason to not invest in mods for your daily. It's no more a sinking fund than upgrades on a new truck. You aren't increasing the value of the vehicle equivalent to the value of the doohickies you're putting on it. Everything with a motor is a bad investment for investing's sake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and putting money in an old truck is a no brainer... they were built like a rock and last forever when maintained. I put a $3000 transmission in my burb. no regrets.
Thanks I really respect your perspective and I'm going to look at doing the re-gear after I install the body lift and get some big tires put on. You and OpalLacod are right. I mean, I would like to drive a brand new 2021 silverado right now, but having super cheap insurance, no payment, and only minor repairs here and there, this is still a great truck 21 years later. It's coming up on 300k miles, mostly city. Would I drive this thing across the country tomorrow? Yes I would, and I've done it many times.

All of the people I work with drive new lexus and mercedies, one just got a brand new 2021 silverado (and it looks sweet!). I want one. But I'm not up to my ears in debt like most people. Another reason I feel comfortable spending a little extra I suppose.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,622 Posts
LT, you’re so right. My wife keeps saying when we get debt free, she’s gonna buy me a new Sierra. I love her dearly, but she also gave me the green light to extract a few more horsepower out of my paid for ’01 HD. Gonna finish what GM started with the true duals: x-pipe, glass packs, and bumper exit tail pipes. An 8.1 should be heard.

·
Registered
984 Posts
putting money in an old truck is a no brainer... they were built like a rock and last forever when maintained
I resemble that remark, LOL! I'm a little different in what I did, I have Cooper Cobra GT 275/60 - 15s (~28" tall) and 4:11 gears on my 88. Cruising @ 80 MPH it's turning ~2400 RPM in 4th gear (OD). I don't care what mileage I get either. It's not a DD - I'm retired, ha ha. After all the other go fast goodies, seats, Dakota Digital dash, yada yada yada, I put in my truck, it's at the paint shop getting a $4,000 paint job, including all new trim I'm putting on (can't wait). Parts are still available and cheaper than new trucks. I've had this truck since 2002 and it'll be part of my estate when I die.
Do what you want to it when you can and you'll never be sorry! (y)

Here's what my "Garage Queen" looks like pre-paint
New springs and 120lbs salt.jpg

New stuff going on after paint
Trim Parts.jpg

Enjoy your ride!!!

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,323 Posts
Peter's truck sits on an oriental rug in his garage. Mine hasn't seen the inside of a garage (except when being overhauled) since 2011! 😁

1 - 15 of 15 Posts