GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, BUT, I'm not the butter knife either.
My 04 silverado came with the lower bumper cover and grill cover for cold weather---well,
ITS COLD 12 degrees this morning.
Put them both on and took off down the highway, 65mph, and she took right off for the HOT side of temp gauge...luckily, I freaked and puller her over and took the grill cover off.
I see truck ALL over cruisin' around with a cover on..........am I NOT supposed to drive with this sucker..............what's the freakin' purpose.
Putting it on so I can take it off before I drive is NOT goint to happen.
I have the 6.0 gasser, yea, thanks for your sympathy ahead of time.
Mark

·
Registered
284 Posts
Can it be partially pulled back, like a fold? What brand?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've never seen the point of those things, Your enginge has a thermostat right?

I have seen some that are louvered and you can open up the louvers as the engine warms up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right! I took the sucker off and she ran at the correct temp.
I guess it is for quicker warm ups?
I don't know, I guess since it was there, I gave her a try.
Besides, It looks damn sharp on. (for the whopping 15 minutes is was on)
My 2500HD is a single cab, 8" bed, 2 wheel drive. with a matching fiberglass camper top.
It is all black, and the black bumpercover and grill cover took care of the rest of the chrome.
Made it look pretty bad.........in fact, so bad that it overheated..Ha Ha ha Ha
Unfortunatly, is is either hooked on or nothing. Some velcro access panels would be the best.
I have a feeling the grill cover part is heading for the bone yard.
Thanks for the thoughts, Mark

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I read an article on these. Before the advent of anti-freeze to the level that we have it today, this was a common practice to do in cold climates. Today, it's not necessary. I can only guess as to why people still do it, there may be some reasons.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ya,.. the reason is to make us wonder, why do they do that? (I speak for myself):eek:h:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
They are real popular in the big rigs up here but they are made with a zipper in the middle of the grill so you can open it up to allow more airflow after it does warm up.
They are made to help warm the truck up in these cold temps.

If yours has a center zipper you should open it up as soon as the truck hits it’s normal operating temp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts