GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 Sub and if I am stopped or going less than about 15 mph, the wipers do exactly what they are supposed to. However if I am going more than 15 it leaves a 6 inch swath of water/snow/ice/gunk in its' path (following the exact path of the wiper) making it dangerously impossible to see out of. I have tried about every brand of wiper out there to no avail. I had a mechanic friend tell me to bend the arm a little bit and this would fix it. No difference. It is like the wind pressure is lifting the middle section of the wiper off of the windshield. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RE: Wiper streaks when vehicle is moving

Hmm, can you try to replace the entire unit ... the wiper arm and wiper blade all in one? You have to make certain that you get something built for your window, but that's a shot.

You also might have some type of film/clear gunk on your window, but that would show up at any speed i guess.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

The next time you have an opportunity, go out to your truck, and pull the entire wiper arm off of both sides. You need to pick the wiper arm up completely off the windshield, once you do, look at the base of the arm, you'll see a small stainless steel eyelet, you need to pull down on the eyelet, and that will allow you to take the arm off of it's shaft.

While you have the arm off, you can take the opportunity to inspect the spring. It's probably weak. What I suggest is to swap arms. If it is a weak spring then the streak will follow the arm to the new side.

Also, if you are not using the stock size wiper, (using something larger) the springs in the arms are not meant to handle much resistance, so a larger blade will have that effect.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts

Ditto on the arm spring.

But try cleaning the blade, it may help/

I use rubbing alcohol soak a paper towel then rub it up and down the blade, then repeat with a new towel again soaked until you no longer see dirt.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You may also want to condsider trying the Bosch Icon blades for replacements. They are $$$y but their design requires less downard pressure from the springs. They are a flexiable blade that are kept in contact with the glass by airpressure as you go down the road. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
With the snow and ice we had recently, I noticed some problem spots with the swath of the wiper. I'm going to have to look into getting them replaced first to see if that solves the problem. Just didn't want to clear out all of the snow on the window, kept leaving a group in the middle. :-(

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I use rubbing alcohol soak a paper towel then rub it up and down the blade, then repeat with a new towel again soaked until you no longer see dirt.
It's funny, but wiper blades can last a very long time, if you clean them regularly, but most people will replace them. I've also found that when the alcohol doesn't work, a good roughing up with some steel wool, or SOS pad with water, will get the wiper blade working like new again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.