GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This happened to me three times during the last three months.

I'm driving in some rain with the wipers on interval. Suddenly they start constant wiping and no matter what I do they won't come off. The only difference is between low and hi speed, which works fine.Turning off the ignition will make them stop, but turning it on again they start all over, even with the wiper switch to "off".

The first time this happened they came off by themselfes after a while, still driving the car. The last time (yesterday) they had stopped when I started the car today after one night of standstill.

No rain censors on this car.

Any hints as to the reason and where to start looking?

TIA

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
It sounds to me that something is wrong inside of your turn signal/wiper control lever. I don't think there is any fix other than a replacement which would ensure the switches are working properly inside the lever.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds to me that something is wrong inside of your turn signal/wiper control lever. I don't think there is any fix other than a replacement which would ensure the switches are working properly inside the lever.

Would be nice to know what's wrong before starting switching stuff. Anybody know how this could be positively diagnostisized? What about a wiper relay? Can't find any in the users manual. Shouldn't there be one controlling wiper movements and intervalls? Or is there just a reostat and a chip in the control lever?

Anybody switched the lever? I've kind of run out of warranty....:redface:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I have never changed the lever but have purchased a new lever to replace one broken on my Blazer. Don't laugh but I just have a stump for a turn signal lever because I broke the end off. In order to operate my wipers I have to insert a small screwdriver into the shaft and twist it so this leads me to believe the wiper controls are deep inside the steering column. As long as your cruise control functions properly, and you can feel the wiper contols "click" when you twist the switch, I would say your lever is fine. I hope this helps and I am sorry to have told you that your only option was to replace the lever. I just got to work and had not had any coffee yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as your cruise control functions properly, and you can feel the wiper contols "click" when you twist the switch, I would say your lever is fine. I hope this helps and I am sorry to have told you that your only option was to replace the lever. I just got to work and had not had any coffee yet.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Thank's Darcy. No problem. Still - if my lever is fine, then what's wrong? And where? Anyone?

And have a nice day, Darcy!

·
Registered
279 Posts
It is the wiper module board that is on the firewall. It gets moisture in it and keeps the wipers going. Changed many boards for this problem.:great:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It is the wiper module board that is on the firewall. It gets moisture in it and keeps the wipers going. Changed many boards for this problem.:great:
Thank's GMCsuvguy. I've just heard the same from my dealer today. (or my wife did, rather, who was in contact with them). But he said it was a (known) bug in the board. Heard anything about that?

Where's the module board situated? Can it be restored (like dried out), or do I have to change it? Can I change it myself? Cost? :confused:

TIA

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
That's good to know in case the wipers ever act up on my Wife's Burban.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Possible gremlin is a shortcut in the wiper motor. After removing it I found - in the grease on the control wheel - some small metal particles which could have caused a shortcut. I removed the old grease, cleaned everything and put on new grease.

Everything now seem to be running ok. We'll see if it stays that way.

Before:

After:

It took some time to locate the wiper motor. It's right here:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hopefully it stays working for you, most of the time we just replaced module, I'm thinking there was an updated circuit in it. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully it stays working for you, most of the time we just replaced module, I'm thinking there was an updated circuit in it. Good luck.
Yeah, well, you might still be right. 'cause after dismounting the motor and before I've done anything to it I plugged it in and let it go on interval for half an hour. Without problem! :confused:

I hate these problems that show up only now and then. :grrrrrr:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well Ajax - what was the outcome???
Did re-greasing the wiper motor solve the problem?
I just had the same exact problem happen this week on my 04 Silverado.
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just tried this and it did not work on my 2003Burb. PCB looks good to so I am not for sure the issue. Looks like I need to replace it. Looks like the PCB has some coating to keep out water also and the case was sealed good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts